When you can't afford retro shoes...

It's what Monsieur Simplex put on the things. No doubt they were a bit more forgiving for the French market...

Re: Re:

bigfatron":1k014i1y said:
I have some size 45 Sidi from back in the day if you like Andrew, blue and grey with a Velcro strap, £20 complete with cleats. I bought them for winter but have only worn them twice, they are in good nick, let me know if you're interested.

Oo, thanks for the offer. I imagine Sidi a tad narrow but might check them out (away for half term, will get back to you on return. Also means I have to cry off the 5th). But surely velcro is WAY too modern...

Re:

Velcro has been in production since about 1958 :D

1983 Sidi produced the Revolution which was the first shoe to use Velcro instead of laces.

Re:

Interesting thoughts here. Back in the 80's I typically road my flat touring pedals with clips and straps with whatever shoes I owned - typically Adidas trainers when I was in my teens and later on some light hikers. I didn't see an actual purpose made cycling shoe until I was in university and rubbed shoulders with a more sophisticated crowd. Now those shoes had slippery hard plastic soles. I do recall on long rides that my feet would hurt after a while. Of course I have similar issues now and I've been riding purpose made cycling shoes since the early 90's. Although I have to say that since I switched to skate shoes and flats on my mountain bike I haven't noticed much problem riding that bike.

Anyhow I doubt the bowling shoe would be much different than a purpose made shoe and if it was too slippery I could have a 1/2 sole glued on at the shoe repair shop.

If of any interest to anyone I have a pair of 1978 Colnago logoed lace up shoes size 42/8 UK but as with all Italian shoes on the small side, have had use but still service able have Dietto Pietro nailed on old pedal type plates & a small heel to enable easier walking looking for the post cost ( From France ) + a couple of Quid give me a shout/pm if of any use & I'll find out the post charge

I bought some black leather Gola trainers for this purpose. They make quite a nice range of narrowish, flat soled trainers. Worked for me, and I don't feel stupid walking in to the pub with them on.

Keep an eye on (the dreaded) eBay. I bought these that way a few years ago for very little money... they are Vittoria.
This is post-polish, they weren't quite this nice at first.
(And I'm going to start a ew thread about the Chiltern festival.)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 341
Anyone any experience of the Arturo/ William Lennon with the leather sole with rubber front part and heel? Worried the front pair would come loose from the in/ out movement into the toe clips, but apparently this sole can be replaced and the thermoplastic can only be repaired?

Anyone any experience of the Arturo/ William Lennon with the leather sole with rubber front part and heel? Worried the front pair would come loose from the in/ out movement into the toe clips, but apparently this sole can be replaced and the thermoplastic can only be repaired?
I have a pair of the REW Reynolds shoes which are very similar to the Arturo. Not had any problems with the rubber sole. I've had them re-soled without issue too.

Like most of my classic gear, I threw away my two pairs of old fashioned leather racing shoes back in those couple of decades when nobody wanted the stuff. Ah well….

As mentioned upthread, I can rec Exustar Stelvios. Done 4 Eroica Britannias in them. They don’t look like old racing shoes, but so what? You’ll be doing plenty of walking so a touring shoe is better anyhow. Just don’t pay full whack for them, as they are frequently in sales.

I can also rec DHB Doricas from wiggle, if you want something retro style but that you can get to fit and are comfortable and won’t break the bank.

Back