When you can't afford retro shoes...

It's what Monsieur Simplex put on the things. No doubt they were a bit more forgiving for the French market...

Re: Re:

bigfatron":1k014i1y said:
I have some size 45 Sidi from back in the day if you like Andrew, blue and grey with a Velcro strap, £20 complete with cleats. I bought them for winter but have only worn them twice, they are in good nick, let me know if you're interested.

Oo, thanks for the offer. I imagine Sidi a tad narrow but might check them out (away for half term, will get back to you on return. Also means I have to cry off the 5th). But surely velcro is WAY too modern...

Re:

Velcro has been in production since about 1958 :D

1983 Sidi produced the Revolution which was the first shoe to use Velcro instead of laces.

Re:

Interesting thoughts here. Back in the 80's I typically road my flat touring pedals with clips and straps with whatever shoes I owned - typically Adidas trainers when I was in my teens and later on some light hikers. I didn't see an actual purpose made cycling shoe until I was in university and rubbed shoulders with a more sophisticated crowd. Now those shoes had slippery hard plastic soles. I do recall on long rides that my feet would hurt after a while. Of course I have similar issues now and I've been riding purpose made cycling shoes since the early 90's. Although I have to say that since I switched to skate shoes and flats on my mountain bike I haven't noticed much problem riding that bike.

Anyhow I doubt the bowling shoe would be much different than a purpose made shoe and if it was too slippery I could have a 1/2 sole glued on at the shoe repair shop.

If of any interest to anyone I have a pair of 1978 Colnago logoed lace up shoes size 42/8 UK but as with all Italian shoes on the small side, have had use but still service able have Dietto Pietro nailed on old pedal type plates & a small heel to enable easier walking looking for the post cost ( From France ) + a couple of Quid give me a shout/pm if of any use & I'll find out the post charge

I bought some black leather Gola trainers for this purpose. They make quite a nice range of narrowish, flat soled trainers. Worked for me, and I don't feel stupid walking in to the pub with them on.

Keep an eye on (the dreaded) eBay. I bought these that way a few years ago for very little money... they are Vittoria.
This is post-polish, they weren't quite this nice at first.
(And I'm going to start a ew thread about the Chiltern festival.)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 341
Anyone any experience of the Arturo/ William Lennon with the leather sole with rubber front part and heel? Worried the front pair would come loose from the in/ out movement into the toe clips, but apparently this sole can be replaced and the thermoplastic can only be repaired?

Anyone any experience of the Arturo/ William Lennon with the leather sole with rubber front part and heel? Worried the front pair would come loose from the in/ out movement into the toe clips, but apparently this sole can be replaced and the thermoplastic can only be repaired?
I have a pair of the REW Reynolds shoes which are very similar to the Arturo. Not had any problems with the rubber sole. I've had them re-soled without issue too.

Like most of my classic gear, I threw away my two pairs of old fashioned leather racing shoes back in those couple of decades when nobody wanted the stuff. Ah well….

As mentioned upthread, I can rec Exustar Stelvios. Done 4 Eroica Britannias in them. They don’t look like old racing shoes, but so what? You’ll be doing plenty of walking so a touring shoe is better anyhow. Just don’t pay full whack for them, as they are frequently in sales.

I can also rec DHB Doricas from wiggle, if you want something retro style but that you can get to fit and are comfortable and won’t break the bank.

Latest posts

Back