What would you do? Selling a bike.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Someone approached me last year about buying a bike I have (it was not for sale at the time). Everything seems very genuine, and they made a good offer.

I didn't sell the bike to them at the start of all this as it was covered in (literal) dust and I didn't want to sell it without making sure it was 100%. I kept them waiting for several months, and they'd occasionally ask for progress. FWIW, I hadn't planned on selling the bike, and they knew that.

A month ago I got the bike ready, and made sure it was exactly as it should be (including fitting new grips and brake pads), sent them pics and agreed to sell for the offered price. They responded enthusiastically, but the money hasn't appeared, despite them having my bank details. To complicate things, they are in France, and haven't given me any indication of how they will collect.

I've told him he has a month to arrange (some of that has already passed), and that I have now received several other genuine offers (true, and someone very local has even come to see it).

I feel like as I kept him waiting, I should be fair to him...? I'd equally love to see the bike go to the local guy.

What would you do here?

Have you dealt with said person before?

I hold very very few items for people unless I know them as over 50% of the time they disappear.

I have not dealt with them before - approached me out of the blue. (not on here FWIW).

Are we talking something super rare ? That they would come from France for ?

Or is there the likelihood that once paid he will expect postage or a courier maybe?

I’d want clarity on collection first and then decide best course.

A month is a reasonable amount of time for him to at least get in touch with you again, even if he can't pick it up (or whatever arrangement he makes) within that time. If he hasn't made contact - don't keep chasing him - then sell it to the local guy.

Are we talking something super rare ? That they would come from France for ?

Or is there the likelihood that once paid he will expect postage or a courier maybe?

I’d want clarity on collection first and then decide best course.

it's not a common bike! I've been explicit that it's collection only, and he's repeatedly not told me how he intends to collect other than 'I have friends in the area'.

it's not a common bike! I've been explicit that it's collection only, and he's repeatedly not told me how he intends to collect other than 'I have friends in the area'.

That is a common scam on ebay and other sites. Friends collect, buyer then calls to say they are on their way round now, you say they have just collected, he says they have not got their yet, he claims his money back, you lose money and bike.

Put a timer on it, tell him he needs to come up with a plan.
Tell the other buyers, you felt obliged to give th other a chance (which you know they won't fulfill let's be real)
After a week, sell it to the bloke that already came to look at it.

That is a common scam on ebay and other sites. Friends collect, buyer then calls to say they are on their way round now, you say they have just collected, he says they have not got their yet, he claims his money back, you lose money and bike.

The bloke collecting needs to pay cash, if it's through EBAY I don't know how that would work.

Not ebay. It was via a facebook group for this brand of bike. Like I said, the bike wasn't actually for sale.

I've insisted on bank transfer only.

Back