What was your best investment in a modern part for you bike?

Cables and chain, they keep my bike going and stopping.

Nothing else was really a good investment.
Inner tubes keep puncturing and the tyres keep wearing out.

Though my oldest bike and longest I have had did sport modern parts and still does, they'll wear out still.

Though to be honest.
Mavic XC717 rims are ace.

The one single 'upgrade' I have thrown on old bikes is decent, light, lockout forks.

Some frames stayed almost identical for a decade plus, so it really depends on the bike itself.

As a rule, I would put whatever is most functional/cost effective on and pay no attention to the era.

BITD we upgraded as we went along, I don't see any need to counter that philosophy.

Mavic XC717 rims

I agree with FluffyChicken, the Mavic XC717 rims are the best addition to my bike.

But i think Mavic wheelsets had the same designs for over a decade i.e rim shape and sticker graphics. So i'm unsure if they're the old model. Are they still built in France?

pete_mmc - The ti-bow is my dream frame, but a Ti hardtail and Ti road bike. I'm way jealous.

I said to the Mrs "I want a Ti road bike frame"
Response from her "It doesn't take a scientist to work that out!"

On topic modern seats are the way forward.

Tyres

cce":1ei6ayv1 said:
Definitely the rubber.
Yep, first and best thing I do is replace old tyres with modern.
As anyone who has ridden on Tioga Psycho's will attest.

gtRTSdh":2yatev3a said:
pete_mmc - On topic modern seats are the way forward.

Just bought a couple...

Certain Flite Titaniums... Yes, those ones, a reissue dubbed the Flite 1990... I wonder why?! ;)

Thank you Selle Italia!!! Brand new classics, on Merlin for a bargain forty odd quid, though I got mine from my good olde bike shoppe :D

Happy days....!

Back