What Tyres & Pressures do you run SS Rigid Offroad

kyle888

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As title I'm going SS so would be interested to hear how you run yours as I've read maximising grip is essential when climbing.

thanks
kyle

Re:

DSC_0262_zpsos07nk05.jpg

Steel sliding dropouts Wanga.

Think I'm running 20-25psi in the 2.4 Conti's on my Surly 1x1.

I'm running tubes, if it makes any difference.

I have tried tubeless before but had to run similar pressures as when tubed as when I went lower I just kept getting big pinch flats in the tyre and had to fit a new tyre and sealant and...too much hassle for not enough benefit.

Kona Kaboom, Schwalbe Rocket Ron (tubed) 2.3 or Michelin XCR AT(tubed) , Kona P2 TB. I run 30-35psi depending...

Lower pressures and I can feel the back squirm when climbing out of the saddle (yuck).

Re:

Maximising grip when climbing is pretty important no matter what bike you ride (if it bothers you).

I run 29" x 2.4 V-Rubber Speed-R tyres at around 30psi (with tubes). I'm sure some 2.1's would be lighter and feel quicker but I quite like the inherent shock absorption you get with bigger tyres when on a rigid bike.

Grip in the dry is good, in the (gloopy) mud the tyres squirm and slide quite a bit, which is fun :mrgreen: the s due to the tread design and depth primarily.

Re:

Here's mine just finished. Currently sporting dmr moto rt 2.2's which have a nice volume.
But i also have paneracer fire xc pro 2.1's.

Here's a pick with the ss kit just fitted...
Poor light.

kyle

Re:

Thanks for the replies so looking like roughly 30psi..
I'll try it at that and see from there. :)

kyle

Late reply, but those pressures are quite high for rigid riding. Try it and you will gain comfort, grip and traction with every psi you manage to reduce. The biggest gains come from the last psi you take out, or the next...

Rigid Singlespeed Offroad I use 20 psi front 22 in the rear in my Schwalbe 2.4 Racing Ralphs. On rigid 29ers I can go lower still at 18F-20R Psi. I do use 23-24mm internal width rims like Stan's Flow or DT Ex 5.1Ds. For 17-19-21mm retro Mavics add a few psi.

Enjoy!!

Back