What type of spray paint do I need?

RichCollinsUK":24kx6kh3 said:
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions guys. I have a question... With powder costing, how to they ensure the bottom bracket etc isn't filled with paint?

You could use an old set of bottom bracket cups. If you don't have them, you can try it like this:

29xyog8.jpg

Easy, cheap, and worked out great for me! All you need is a piece of wood, a holesaw, some sanding paper and some old bolts!

RichCollinsUK":2119ag0q said:
Thanks for all your tips and suggestions guys. I have a question... With powder costing, how to they ensure the bottom bracket etc isn't filled with paint?

Any decent powder coating company will mask the bottom bracket threads. Sometimes you just need to run a scalpel blade over the headtube to make sure the cups sit correctly. The going rate for stripping and powder coating seems to be around £35/40, save yourself a load of hassle and stress :)

Ian Raleigh":52giigwd said:
torqueless":52giigwd said:
Get some wet-or-dry paper and sand off the crappy '80s graphics.
Sand off stickers :shock: The wet & Dry paper will clog up after a few rubs,
I'd use an hair dryer and heat the stickers up and gently pull them off, any residue can be removed by thinners or white spirit.

Yeah, you are right. if they are stickers, (held in place with some permanently gummy stuff), rather than transfers, ignore my advice!

They have a circular bit of masking tape which covers the bb hole perfectly. I think they had little doweling type things for the pannier rack holes and what-not!

38 quid for prep and powdercoating here in Carlisle they have a variety of special silicone bungs for frames they even do metallic type powdercoating.

Shaun

i painted my pubber black with aerosol. I just did a bit of quick sanding for adhesion, and then used a can of poundland aerosol primer painted straight over the graphics and then a poundland black finishing coat. So that was 2 aerosol cans in total from poundland (cant remember how much they cost). Its not nice or smooth, but that's ok, as I want it un-nickable. On a positive side, it has been relatively hardwearing and doesnt look like it needs recoating after 3 years.

Back