What state is retro biking in at the moment?

tock13":16oslt06 said:
On the other hand, those that do it purely because they LOVE the magic and don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks about a mismatched anodized chainring bolt well…they will always hear the bell ringing. :xmas-big-grin:

I enjoyed the read it brought back so many memories from the 80's and 90's but that last paragraph is all you needed to say! :cool:

boswell":318z78pe said:
tock13":318z78pe said:
On the other hand, those that do it purely because they LOVE the magic and don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks about a mismatched anodized chainring bolt well…they will always hear the bell ringing. :xmas-big-grin:

I enjoyed the read it brought back so many memories from the 80's and 90's but that last paragraph is all you needed to say! :cool:

Have to say I too agree - although as I get older and pretty much in the same age group as Tock (50 :oops: ) I find myself getting pleasure from just looking at and cleaning some of my wall hangers - kinda like the pleasure posh folk would get from looking at a painting hanging in the drawing room of the west wing

perhaps in another 30 yrs that will be the total sum of my excitement :facepalm: - just looking

Gievn the size of these things
SRAM-GX-news-Eagle-51be940.jpg

why don't they just drop the disc brake and mount the caliper in the stays and use the chainring as the disc as well.

Re:

I see a chap at work a few times a week who loves new bikes, is drawn in by every new fad, trends etc. And just does not get Retro bikes at all.

I just happened to ride my Kona Explosif in to work, well you would have thought it was a Penny Farthing :D

Slagged it off for 10 minutes, whilst banging on about dropper posts, 150 mms travel forks, the death of triple and double cranks.

And we went on to talk about road bikes, I make the mistake of mentioning I have Downtube Shifters on my bike, can anyone guess what he said ??????

:D

Re:

A guy at my work locked up his modern road bike, looked at my '98 RockHopper and called it an 'antique'. :shock:

He didn't last long.

FluffyChicken":gmnknwhy said:
Given the size of these things

Probably be 60 next year, so seems that 2nd chainring was important after all.
Who knows, another 4 or 5 years and triples will return.
Then they'll start recommending smaller and smaller cogs and before you know it 12/32 will be the norm

Re:

No no no do not recommend large sprocket doubling as disc. The will give the industry an Entirely New Thing To Introduce (ENTTI) and we have had enough of those thank you.

Hmmm ....age.

Well....I like the long reflection from the 'States above. It too took me back. Chainstay mounted U brake Marin, Manitou 1s upfront and dropping into a wood with Ray on his Pace. Must have been 1991. One of those hot June evenings....round about 8pm.

Well...we were at the front of the scene then, and with a few periods out for grim reasons and good reasons, I'm back out there with the Grom. Last night, running the jumps we have dug in the local wood, Grom on a DMR Sect I built for him, me on a P2 jump bike. At 62 I do not get the air that he does, but I do get airtime....long may it last...

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":1wwhng8o said:
No no no do not recommend large sprocket doubling as disc. The will give the industry an Entirely New Thing To Introduce (ENTTI) and we have had enough of those thank you.

New for 2021 ........ SRAM Sprotor.

To be fair, these exist on custom motorbikes but always make me think none of them ever lube their chain.

Latest posts

Back