What state is retro biking in at the moment?

I can only speak for myself, but I see retrobiking is in good shape. With widening awareness and popularity, I believe more people are recognizing their old bike in the back of the garage is worth something to someone else (and may be saved from the landfill), but with greater interest comes higher prices, and I think recently I have seen more people trying to sell retro stuff at nearly new BITD prices. Not that there's anything too wrong with that - a bike is only worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it (unless we're talking scrap value). Either way, it's all good.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I can come up with a few.

* Family

* Priorities in check

* I rather go biking given the time

* Modern bikes are modern i.e. better. Sorry fellow RBers, they are

* Growing up

* Time is finite, ergo...

* n - 1 is the formula to solve all problems

And the biggest, largerest, most significant point...

* Tired of all the retro-grouchy kooks and strange people without a sense of humor and first and foremost a clear and open mind about the general state of things.

Not sure why people moan about overpriced stuff on ebay. Sellers can ask what they want, buyers can always choose not to buy it.

erolorhun":2i5dye71 said:

Rubbish.

I can easily drop guys on their modern fully suspended steeds on my ancient, tricked out Litespeed hardtail.

The reason? Because my early 90's Litespeed is not mass produced heavy tat. It weighs a fraction of their modern bikes, handles beautifully and cost less to put together. I dare say it looks a damn slight better too...

The same is true of my steel road bikes running ancient 8spd Dura Ace with 1st gen STI. Deore XT/XTR/Dura Ace of today just isn't built to last like it was in the late 80's and early 90's. It's good, but not like it was.

Give me a top retro bike from the early 90's any day of the week. Not for the nostalgia - for the performance!

rjsdavis":2twees5v said:
erolorhun":2twees5v said:
Give me a top retro bike from the early 90's any day of the week. Not for the nostalgia - for the performance!

Ofcourse. I knew someone here would take offence. But, honestly. Modern bikes are amazing. Put down your rose tinted spectacles and be open about it. Take a contemporary carbon-fiber roadbike for example. Jawdropping efficiency pared with a comfortable, forgiving ride. It is truly win-win.

And 25-year old DuraAce... If you are happy with it then be happy with it. But if we are looking at it from a purely empirical standpoint, modern DA is lighter, stiffer and more efficient. The end. It`s not even worth debating really.

rjsdavis":16yv5gh0 said:
erolorhun":16yv5gh0 said:

Rubbish.

I can easily drop guys on their modern fully suspended steeds on my ancient, tricked out Litespeed hardtail.

The reason? Because my early 90's Litespeed is not mass produced heavy tat. It weighs a fraction of their modern bikes, handles beautifully and cost less to put together. I dare say it looks a damn slight better too...

No. It's because an fs isn't better unless it is properly tuned to the terrain and the terrain tough enough to really need it. The majority of riders have no idea how to set their suspension up, and most of the riding people do is on trails far too mellow to need rear end suspension. Suspension is always an energy suck: if you don't have it set-up right then you'll get the cost, and some added comfort, but not the benefits.

Mass production is not the problem: modern production lines can turn out superb quality. And I really doubt that your Litespeed weights "a fraction" of a decent fs bike, unless that fraction is something like "7/8".

But anyway: this is the crazy place mtb has reached. People buy bikes that look like those used by highly skilled racers on extreme terrain, then use them where they'd be faster on a simpler bike, and have no idea how to set them up. Oh - and they drastically under-maintain the suspension systems, reducing performance - it's probably standard for a fork specced for an oil change every 30 hours of riding to go a year of use from the threads I've been reading.

A few of our friend have sold their modern bikes an bought 90's bikes after being out with us. We're not talking £1000+ modern bikes, but standard average modern bikes.
Here for the cost they paid for them and what they can get UFO, AMP, Kona's for they far prefer these old bikes. Given you can pick up a good Amp B3 for 200 quid or so fully working, or build a late 90's kona with some nice bombers and groupset.
For that the modern stuff is crap once their disc had given up and suspension was shite after a few rides in the mud.

And that is where 'retro' comes in and why it is still nicely plodding on friends have bought 4 bikes in the past 2 weeks alone. Paid feck all fro them in some cases to.

From our point of vie it is alive and kicking.

If you asked how is this website doing then that a different thing.

I also see many people retrobiking (may have mentioned it in this thread or others) all over the place, on the local routes, Dalby, Sherwood pines, peaks all over the place.
They just don't know they are retrobiking.

erolorhun":17bmyt03 said:
rjsdavis":17bmyt03 said:
erolorhun":17bmyt03 said:

Ofcourse. I knew someone here would take offence. But, honestly. Modern bikes are amazing. Put down your rose tinted spectacles....

And 25-year old DuraAce... If you are happy with it then be happy with it. But if we are looking at it from a purely empirical standpoint, modern DA is lighter, stiffer and more efficient. The end. It`s not even worth debating really.

Of course. You're right and most other people on the site are wrong.

If you wet your pants at the prospect of "modern" bikes that demonstrate little evolution / innovation in the last 25 years, then go ahead, however this probably isn't the right forum for you.

As a former TdF mechanic who's still involved with a pro team today, I suspect I know a good deal more about top spec component performance than most. You happen to be wrong, but there you go... from an "empirical" (sic) standpoint, or indeed any other.

Back