What order to spec drivetrain? 80s M-Trax MTB to Gravel

420mTrax

Dirt Disciple
I've got a late-80s (?) Raleigh M-Trax MTB I want to convert to a gravel-type setup (single crankset, 11 or 12 on the cassette, flared drops etc). it's got 3x7 at the moment.

Is there an order to spec the drivetrain?
I was thinking I should get the cassette in first then match the crankset to it.
That's because I may need to rebuild the rear wheel around the bigger cassette (or do they all fit after a certain speed?).
And, the single crank might need adjusting laterally by means of the size of the BB axle.

Or am I making things too complicated?

(not my bike but same ball bark)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 9
The first thing I'd do is confirm what freehub you have and whether it can take your desired cassette. I would doubt it could take a 12 speed, 11 maybe, but you could find 7sp is it's max. I'd also check the rear hub spacing, as if it's 130 oln, you won't get a modern hub on there or have space for a cassette greater than 7sp.

Once you know if you need a new cassette, hub or full wheel, the rest should take care of itself.

Also, have a look at the new Microshift sword groupset

It's a wide range 10 speed with cable shifters that could be pretty much designed for what you are trying to do (assuming the right type of hub)

Reactions: Woz
The first thing I'd do is confirm what freehub you have and whether it can take your desired cassette. I would doubt it could take a 12 speed, 11 maybe, but you could find 7sp is it's max. I'd also check the rear hub spacing, as if it's 130 oln, you won't get a modern hub on there or have space for a cassette greater than 7sp.

Once you know if you need a new cassette, hub or full wheel, the rest should take care of itself.
I think this is the key consideration. The question is, can it take a bigger cassette if I rebuild the wheel with a new hub? I'll do some measuring.

94 model iirc so rear spacing will be 135mm. If the existing hub is 7 speed youll need an 8 to 10 speed hub or ann11 speed as the freehub is a smidge longer than 8 to 10.

Back