Using a MTB triple crankset as a road double 32/48

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I should know this already, but...

Using a disc-braked CX/gravel frame I'm cobbling together a bike to serve as a bad weather road bike for the winter, and change the tyres for a light-duty gravel/towpath bike for the summer.

My main remaining issue is the gearing. I'm not ready to go 1x on the front for a bike that's going to see mostly road use, so it's a double chainset. And I want an outer chainring of top gear of say 48t for the road. But using a compact road double crankset, the inner chainring only goes down to 34t or 33t at a push, which would mean I'd really need a bigger cassette and a higher mech capacity than I have, in order to bring the lowest gear down.

It's a low-budget build aiming to make use of as many of my existing spare parts as possible and I've got a decent XT triple crankset spare. I'm wondering whether I could just swap out the 44t chainring for a 48t, giving me effectively a 32/48 double. 16t difference should be fine for a road front mech, and I could then run an 11-34 cassette on the rear no problem.

The question is, will 32/48 on a triple crankset work with road STI's (and matching road front mech) or are the chainring spacing/angles involved not going to work?

Cheers!

It should be fine provided you keep the road front mech. Assuming that it's a square taper crank then going to a shorter BB (try 5mm less for starters) is a good idea. Some road mechs may not be able to throw the chain far enough outward, and anyway you don't need a wider crank spacing.

sounds like it will be fine to me, it might take a bit more effort to lift the chain up to it, but not likely to be an issue.
guessing you are running 9s rather than 10 or 11, so a road derailleur should have sufficient reach to not need to drop a BB width.

I looked into this, I think the chain line only works using the inner / middle combo. On an Octalink set I my chainline was way out on the big ring.

Thanks everyone so far! Looks like it might just be a matter of seeing how it goes then. I'm planning on running 10-speed with a SRAM road drivetrain. I've got an M770 XT crankset which is Hollowtech II type, so I have a degree of adjustment with the 3 spacers between the frame and the cups.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back