What kind of wheel weight should I be aiming for on a '99 B17 for a bit of trail use?

baldyonabike

Devout Dirtbag
Evening people,
I am putting together a Marin B17 and want to use it for a bit of everything - kind of free ridy stuff I guess. What would be an acceptable wheel weight for that kind of thing do you think? If you can recommend some tyres as well that would help I think.

Ta.
BOAB.

Wheel weight?? Generally, heavy = stronger.
Wheels are a combination of hubs, spokes and rims and each can have a bearing on both strength and weight.
I assume you're looking for something in keeping with the bike and 26", so my first choice would be Mavic rims, probably the DH rims such as the EX729, EX721, or D321 if you're running discs, the D521 if you have V brakes.
Halo Combat are another solid choice for rims, available as Disc and V brake.
Hubs/Spokes have less of a bearing on weight, you may need disc hubs depending on your brakes. You may also need a 20mm through axle depending on your fork.
Tyres, again depending on the frame and fork, see what will fit and get a decent size. Tioga Factory DH 2.3" work for me and just about fit most things.
Lots of choices, options and opinions.

I'd go with almost any modern tyre over retro.

B17 is a great bike. Depends on fork, but I'd go 1 x 10 and you'll save a hit of weight. Probably be able to get 30lb easy

Thanks folks, yes I am going modern for the tyres, I've already got a 521 on the front, with a Pace RC 50 ( that needs attention - something's fallen off...) hub and a Nokian Gazzalobos ( ????? ) and the rear has something else I have never heard of before ( a Quad X Country Mamba ) and a Nokian Gazza without the Lobos. I am thinking of replacing the tyres with Panaracer Fires or Schwalbe...something or others but the Tiogas sound like a good suggestion.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted

BOAB

521 will last forever! Looks like Merlin cycles has a sale on Maxxis.. Get some High Rollers or Ardent .... Merlin has em both in 26" Gazzalodi's wear like iron, but are slippery when wet.

Cheers folks, it's getting to the point of being rideable, and I'm thinking of going with High Rollers, but I do have a pair of brand new Black Jacks that I might try it with just to keep costs down for starters.
Here are the last couple of photos I took - the swingarm was repainted with Spray.Bike which was great to use and seems pretty durable, though actual riding will be the real test, and since I took these the bike has gained a proper saddle and a cheap and cheerful dropper ( the seat tube ID is surprisingly 27.2! ) and a new chainset ( sticking with 3x ) I am currently waiting for a new rear mech hanger and some brake fluid.
Once I have decided if I am happy with the fork I will either paint it to match the swingarm or replace it. The chain retention device will be going as well, once I get up the courage to get the BB off.

BOAB

Attachments

• B174.jpg
    B174.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 13
  • B175.jpg
    B175.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back