What is your favourite retro Fork?

Woz":27ibxkvc said:
On which type of P2 did you ride?

Soon I will be able to compare a 1996 standard straight P2 with a race grade curve Spinner TB from around 1997.

Both are 410mm a-c. Not weighed them yet, but there may be around 200 - 300 gram difference. I'm thinking
the standard P2 will also be more wooden.

Hmmm...
It was a more modern disc only one, which I expected to be longer, but only measures up at 400mm a-c. I've had them sat in the garage for years, and no idea what I bought them as (or when, or from who).

I prefer the ride of the skinnier, tapered, curved blade forks on my KHS Montana though...

LongboardSi":1qs9f0rg said:
So - Project 2 people - how much difference can you feel between the triple butted P2s and standard?

I did my first proper ride on P2s yesterday, and was slightly underwhelmed - while the directness was kind of nice, they sort of felt a bit 'wooden' for want of a better word...

As mentioned, which years and models do you have?

For me, the 96/97 versions are chalk and cheese. Predictably the CM is heavier and less responsive (it's still great - don't get it twisted). TB is lighter and with a bit more flex and give, and as a result, a better ride.

Re: Re:

Once A Hero":2yby9xjj said:
Z1 Bombers

The difference they made to what I could ride in '97 compared to my '96 Judy DHs' was night and day!

The Z2 as well compared to a Judy xc was a revelation.

I echo whats been said,the Z1/2s were total game changers when they came out.I have Z1s on my King Kikapu and they are undoubtedly the best fork of that era.Im currently building a Zaskar and Ive a set of Z2s to go on that.A seal and oil change every few years is the only maintenance they need.

Z2's. Pretty much because all i owned prior was a set of Quadras, which we all know were pish :LOL:
And went from those to a new pair of Z2's in 98 and the difference so incredibly amazing, i didnt think it could get any better, so just never tried anything after that.

dyna-ti":dyzie0wr said:
Z2's. Pretty much because all i owned prior was a set of Quadras, which we all know were pish :LOL:
And went from those to a new pair of Z2's in 98 and the difference so incredibly amazing, i didnt think it could get any better, so just never tried anything after that.

It does get lighter and stiffer though... air forks are lighter. Otoh coil &oil follows terrain like butter.

Re:

USE SUB fork , just love them so easy to maintain .
IMG_0280-4_zpsr2h3q5zc.jpg

When it's about the looks I really like the Specialized FSX (MAG Version) the most.

Closely followed by the Judy version FSX

But functionwise ... well.. more modern stuff. Hydracoil Judys...

Latest posts

Back