What BB do I need for Italian BB 36mmx70mm for Campi

Taul Paul

Devout Dirtbag
I'm build my freshly painted and chromed Mino Denti master.
Fitting Campi 1st gen Athena group.
Thought I had the correct 111mm BB but NO. I the correct thread, the shell 70mm wide. Is there a BB
to fit. I have the correct cup and ball type but the left cup is buried in the shell before it nips up, no way will
the lock ring go on.

I'm sure the BB axle is 111mm

Thanks
Paul

Re:

Pass
The thread is correct, I'm P pretty sure 111mm is the correct length for the group.
I'd a 111mm 36x70mm BB available?

Sorry, what I mean is that as it's cup and cone, a 68mm shaft will have the bearing races closer together. I fear you may have been sold a mix and match of a 110/68 shaft with 70mm cups.

I reckon Ihave the wrong cups. I have a 70 marked shaft. I must have 36mm wrong cups.
I tried a pair of cups from a marked 68mm shaft BB. This measured up ok 70mm plus a bit more thread for the lock ring but they are english threads.

I'll probably have to get a complete BB for 70mm to be sure.

Shimano ultegra octalink has the cups you are looking for, both are rh thread. Not sure but i think it is available for 68 mm, so just 2 mm shirt, dunno if that will be ok.

Taul Paul":6qg02vzi said:
I reckon Ihave the wrong cups. I have a 70 marked shaft. I must have 36mm wrong cups.
I tried a pair of cups from a marked 68mm shaft BB. This measured up ok 70mm plus a bit more thread for the lock ring but they are english threads.

I'll probably have to get a complete BB for 70mm to be sure.

BSA thread cups will not thread into an ITA thread frame, the diameter is different.

Ie if the cups you have thread into the frame, they are are for that bb shell. They may not be for that axle. Are you using the correct size bearings?

Dave Marsh at Universal has sorted it out. For some reason there are 2 campi 70 axles.
One shiny plated type that I have and he had another one in black stamped 70 with wider
apart bearing races. Both 111mm long, Dunno why there should be 2 types but the black one
is bang on.

sounds like you're sorted, but there are two axle types because there are two cup types - ones with thin walls and the bearings further apart (lower range models), and thicker (record) cups with "rifling" to help avoid dirt getting in there. You probably had the spindle from the record BB but the cups from a lower end model.

Latest posts

Back