West Coast Racing - KAMIKAZE

Re:

Thank you, I was quite excited to discover that it was a bit special, I knew when I bought it that it wasn’t a generic frame, but the last known example of a British built e-stay from the heyday of mountain biking was a pleasant surprise to say the least. The gentleman that built it was really excited about it too, which added to the experience!

The original build was as follows:

Frame: West Coast Racing - KAMIKAZE

Fork: Gen 1 Pace RC35 with stepped Kevlar legs

Headset: Deore XT 1 1/4
Stem: Control Tech - Control Stem
Handlebar:

Brakes: Magura
Brake Levers: Magura

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT Thumbshifter
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Cassette: Screw on Shimano
Cranks: Cook Bros Racing
Crank Bolts: Royce
Chainrings: Pace
Chainring bolts: Pace
Bottom Bracket: Royce Titanium
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT

Hub Skewers: Ringlé Ti Stix
Rims: Araya RM400 Pro
Hubs: Mavic Gao Dakar
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Ringlé Ti

Some of these were still in place when I bought it, but the Cooks cranks and the rest of the drivetrain had been replaced with brand new XT about five years ago, on the advice of the bike shop. The original parts were immaculate and ‘went missing’ despite the owner saying he wanted to keep them.

Re:

Its a hell of a find, i love the fact it was made in Cornwall too, and possibly the only example left. I was a little disappointed with the style of the graphics when i saw them, but i guess they are of there time, despite not being to my taste, you have all the original info which is marvellous.

Are you going to polish it, or leave it...?

I quite like the grey colour that the raw aluminium has taken over the years, reminds me of a Cunningham! So I’m considering leaving it as is... however, Dale sent a message to say that he is sending me these..... so i might have to polish it!

Attachments

• 7D48E80C-BA03-406D-B55B-084478F97444.jpeg
    7D48E80C-BA03-406D-B55B-084478F97444.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 260
Re:

I thought the same, its a tricky one, i like way its aged, and still looks tip top, it will take some hard work to polish, but to have original decals and not fit them might be a crime. :? but either way i dont think you can do wrong.

I shall look forward to seeing the next step... :cool:

:cool: love it, the frame and the story.

Its great how the builder is still passionate about it too.

I suppose the biggest question is wether to ride it, and risk cracking possibly the last suvivor, or to restore and presserve. Personally i would be too tempted and would at least have to try it out :)

Excellent! To prevent it from cracking, you just have to heat it up a little bit and voilà :mrgreen:

mk one":djoziusc said:
:cool: love it, the frame and the story.

Its great how the builder is still passionate about it too.

I suppose the biggest question is wether to ride it, and risk cracking possibly the last suvivor, or to restore and presserve. Personally i would be too tempted and would at least have to try it out :)

I’ve already had a quick blast on it when I picked it up near Glasgow, before I knew that it was fragile! I’m not really into garage queens, but it would seem silly to go too hard on it. I’m not the racing snake I once was!

foxb13":2a6tgxmq said:
Excellent! To prevent it from cracking, you just have to heat it up a little bit and voilà :mrgreen:

A little bit.... I wish Dale still had the photos from when they completely melted one in a pottery kiln :LOL:

sinnerman":fdaqpwab said:
Would look SO cool with a Tioga Disc Drive...!

Agreed, I sold a couple of nos Sugino ones a few years back. Should have kept one as the prices have gone crazy now.

Back