Welding experts …. Is this salvageable

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
In 98 I had a Zaskar LE with yellow/blue decals. I’ve been after one for a while now and none come up. They are all either 97 or 99 frames for some reason.

Anyway spotted this for sale at £400 for full bike. Made a deal. Then upon chatting prior to collection turns out it had a repair done. So I Backed out the deal.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m contacted ti say it’s going to be scrapped or I can give £70 for it.

Obviously I buy it (had some Z1s on it ) so after a 7 hour driving day yesterday I’ve got it home.

So now I’ve got the correct frame I want but with a nasty nasty repair.

Welding experts … could this be stripped back , welded and look factory again ? Obviously it needs ti be cost effective as at some point a correct frame will come up so no point chucking loads at this. If it’s not effective I’m open to suggestions how to make use of it.

I’ve messaged Dan chambers but no response as yet as he’s likely the man to know.

IMG_3612.jpeg IMG_3613.jpeg IMG_3614.jpeg

Ali frame isn't it?

You could sand it back but you'll not get a nice weld l. I'm guessing it snapped by the weld (normal, it's a high stress area that's been cooked), you could spend a few hours with the die grinder cleaning it all out only to find the tube is fucked anyway.
The buildup isn't badly done, I'd hit it with the die grinder to smooth it out then leave it.

Oof, hence the "min insert" line on seatposts...

Looks like it could certainly be taken down and redone by someone skilled with a TIG rig & probably even refinished to look factory again but it'd be a task I think. Personally I'd say it's a cheap rider until it cracks again & then either repair better or scrap the frame but if you're up for a lot of grinding/sanding/brushing/polishing you could make it pretty.

Yes it’s 6061 heat treated.

It’s a very common place on the 97-99 Zaskars to crack.

I won’t be riding it. But also it needs to look right as otherwise it’ll annoy me and I’ll keep searching for another anyway.

Yes it’s 6061 heat treated.

Has it been heat treated since the repair ?

If it hasn't I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole, ally is funny stuff to weld and if it was originally designed to be heat treated after the welding process then really needs to be done again. Back in the 80's Simon LeBon's yacht Drum capsized after its keel broke due welded aluminium failing because it hadn't been heat treated after being welded as per the specs called for.

Grinding it back to "look nicer" will very likely only weaken it further, it needs to either be A) assessed by someone who properly qualified to do so, B) used only to pootle to the shops and back or C) hung on your wall as a nice ornament.

Has it been heat treated since the repair ?

If it hasn't I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft barge pole, ally is funny stuff to weld and if it was originally designed to be heat treated after the welding process then really needs to be done again. Back in the 80's Simon LeBon's yacht Drum capsized after its keel broke due welded aluminium failing because it hadn't been heat treated after being welded as per the specs called for.

Grinding it back to "look nicer" will very likely only weaken it further, it needs to either be A) assessed by someone who properly qualified to do so, B) used only to pootle to the shops and back or C) hung on your wall as a nice ornament.

It came to me like this so no clue of who welded it , or if any heat treatment was done.

I won’t be riding it as it’s too small and if I do fancy a retro roll around I’d use something nicer.

It’s also too ugly currently to go on the wall so it’s been put in the loft until I have a plan.

If I could get it repaired and looking nice (but not strong) that would do.

The proper repair would have been to drill the ends of the crack, grind out the crack, lay a fresh bead, then heat treat the frame.

No telling how the repair was done.

The tubing is thin from the factory so a careful hand and a lot of patience could re-repair.

Realistically, the seat tube is captured in the top tube….Throw a long seatpost in there and ride it gently. Inspect frequently.

Back