weirdest bike find ...

Not so much a wierd bike find for me, but i woke up one sunday morning a couple of years back with a bit of a foggy head (cant think why) and got on with my morning routine, only to get a notification from ebay telling me my bid had won and i should pay for my item..... :facepalm:

Clicked onto it and there was an auction for a '97 Proflex Animal, complete with potato-esque quality pictures, so i had no idea how good or bad it was :facepalm: :facepalm:

Sends the £158 via paypal and negotiated collection with the seller who said he was at work but as the funds had cleared i could drive the 1hr 30 mins to go collect it from his parents that afternoon.

Got there and his old boy duly wheeled out the most pristine Proflex Animal that i had ever seen, barely a scuff on it anywhere, complete with a mint m900 crankset, barely used red dx platform/spd pedals, red xlite kevlar saddle, full set of xlite camlok skewers, yellow xlite fly stem and matching bars, yeti gripshift and bar grips and a set of xlite bar plugs and stem cap, all in near perfect condition!

I felt like i had stolen it as i hurriedly bundled it into the back of my car, only for matey to come back from work early, walk up to me (i was thinking he wanted more money) and shake my hand to thank me for a smooth transaction!!

He had ridden it less than 200 miles when he had an 'off' on another bike and put himself off the bike for months and months, the Proflex got hung up in the garage and stayed there ever since, even the wtb velociraptors were in perfect condition!

I ended up keeping the m900 crankset and sending it on its way a few years later, and made a little bit on it too :LOL:

legrandefromage":3o73d8wt said:
JeRkY":3o73d8wt said:
legrandefromage":3o73d8wt said:
<keeps very quiet>

Thats not like you!

RB is mostly made up of my finds.

:mrgreen:

Didn’t you find my Antaeus in a ditch or up a tree or something?

Re:

Found a almost intact Claud Butler lugged steel MTB in a ditch full of water once. Drained it and dried it then with a lump hammer, vice and hacksaw turned it into a fat bike. It did not enjoy the process but I had a fat bike for the first edition of Forth Fat, the fat bike meet organised by Coastline aka Bruce in Both Berwick, East Lothian. Not bad for a free bike !

Re:

^^^^^^ Pics please Velomaniac.

I walked away from His and Hers Dawes Galaxies complete with front and rear racks, 10 quid from the tip.

Picked up a pair of Shivers for 30 quid from Stafford classic motorbike show. Wouldn't fit on my dad's '59 Tribsa scrambler though!

Back