WANTED! GT Karakoram Elite

retrobikeguy

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Thanks guys, I was tempted but I really want to re-live my first real bike experience with the same colour, black was a boring option on the elite BITD but it didnt float my boat - midnight sky really does look mint

RBG

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My GT Tequesta I had in 92 (also stolen :evil: ) was an 18", I bought a 16" to replace it last year as I always thought the 18" was too big - I was wrong! The 16" was very small, short and the front end was very low. If it helps I am 5'7.5" with a 29" (ish) inside leg.

JamesM

Senior Retro Guru
The Tequesta in your signature isnt a 16". GT 16" measure 18" from C-T. Also the 16" and 18" both have 100mm head tubes so the front would be the same height.

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
JamesM":11jb1nbv said:
The Tequesta in your signature isnt a 16". GT 16" measure 18" from C-T. Also the 16" and 18" both have 100mm head tubes so the front would be the same height.

I'm afraid it is mate, this is the 16" I bought last year which is too small, it measures 16" C-C which is how the GT's are sized (and 18" ish C-T)

6940f48b.jpg

This is my original 18" frame, again 18" C-C, and around 20" C-T:

d36e16e0.jpg

20" ones are huuuuuuge and I couldn't even get a leg over them, and 14" ones are very rare and very tiny. My wife has a 1999 GT in the 12.5" size, still measured C-C for the size, which I can't even test ride to check brakes and stuff as my knee hits the bars!

retrobikeguy

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
sloping top tube gives it away in that era, plus GT sizing was always on the slightly larger size

RBG

JamesM

Senior Retro Guru
Rob Atkin":gqz12rxl said:
JamesM":gqz12rxl said:

I'm afraid it is mate, this is the 16" I bought last year which is too small, it measures 16" C-C which is how the GT's are sized (and 18" ish C-T).

Three different sizes!!!

Attachments

• karakoramelite.jpg
    karakoramelite.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,533
  • p1140056.jpg
    p1140056.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 1,533
  • 6940f48b.jpg
    6940f48b.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,533

Marcus W

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
GT K........... Elite

Are you still looking for one, I have one but not with many original parts. The original parts are frame and u brake?