Vintage Frame With Current Campagnolo Groupset Build?

Markone

Retro Guru
My brother in law is starting on a build he's just received a vintage Joe Waugh 531 frameset.The rear dropout spacing is 130mm,but may have originally been built as 126mm.He intends to install a new 11 speed Centaur groupset are there any problems he may encounter running 11 speed on a vintage frame even with the rear spacing at 130mm?The dropouts are of the horizontal type with axle adjuster screws,by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Re:

I wouldn't be worried about putting a 130mm wheel into 126 dropouts. It's only 2mm either side.

What i would check is
1. If it's a braze on fitment for the front mech, will this fit his chainrings, eg might have been made for a 53 and he now wants a compact
2. Will the small cog on the cassette clear the frame? Older frames often had domed ends where the stays meet the dropouts. Check there is clearance
3. Will brake clearances be ok? Modern campag is only short reach brakes

Re: Re:

pigman":3aof2rfu said:
I wouldn't be worried about putting a 130mm wheel into 126 dropouts. It's only 2mm either side.

What i would check is
1. If it's a braze on fitment for the front mech, will this fit his chainrings, eg might have been made for a 53 and he now wants a compact
2. Will the small cog on the cassette clear the frame? Older frames often had domed ends where the stays meet the dropouts. Check there is clearance
3. Will brake clearances be ok? Modern campag is only short reach brakes

Thanks pigman that's all useful info he may have to go 10 speed Veloce instead.

Re:

Im not sure whether going to 10 speed would necessarily remove any potential problems 11 speed might present.

You may need to find a band on adaptor for the front mech, and get the bottom bracket clean but apart from the above I cant see any obvious issues. Have been running a 1984 frame with 2004 Ultegra without any issues so far.

The other thing that popped into my head was tyres, older frames can be very close clearance and the modern way is for bigger tyres which you may struggle with

My braze on frames run 50t with modern mechs

campagnolo_potenza_11_speed_groupset_silver_grande.jpg

legrandefromage":if7aebxp said:
You may need to find a band on adaptor for the front mech, and get the bottom bracket clean but apart from the above I cant see any obvious issues. Have been running a 1984 frame with 2004 Ultegra without any issues so far.

The other thing that popped into my head was tyres, older frames can be very close clearance and the modern way is for bigger tyres which you may struggle with

My braze on frames run 50t with modern mechs

campagnolo_potenza_11_speed_groupset_silver_grande.jpg

Thanks LGF,I have asked my brother in law to fit his 11 speed Ultegra rear wheel from another bike to check the Waugh frame for clearance.Centaur cranksets are available in 52/36 so the front mech braze on position should be fine.As for tyres I'm sure he would prefer to run 25c,but if 23c is the limit so be it.

I'll keep the thread updated as the build progresses,but it may be slow-ish.

Back