1980 Brian Rourke

kaferboy

Dirt Disciple
Just picked up this frame last weekend off my Dad - his old road bike from the 80's. He had a few nice bikes when I was a kid, I remember his Harry Hall and a nice Peugeot 753 at some point, and he was good enough to buy my eldest brother a 531 Clive Stuart that I ended up with in the late 80's a couple of hand me downs later when my brothers had discovered girls and beer.... I also remember going up to Liverpool to C&G finishes with him as a kid who painted both the Clive Stuart and his Harry Hall for him - both in a fantastic dark red metallic candy colour.

Anyway, this is frame no. 909 and according to Wayne at Rourkes is a Reynolds 531/SL frameset built in 1980, with campag dropouts and a bit of chromework. It does need refinishing as the paint is in pretty poor order and I've had a quote off Rourkes which seems very reasonable and am just weighing up whether to have a crack at it myself or drop it in to them for the work. It will be being built back up with a brand new 105 groupset, as I intend riding this bike as much as possible and have been well impressed with 105 on my other bike (a very basic but willing Specialized Allez). So I'll update this as I go, which won't be particularly quickly, although I do intend riding the bike in next years Dartmoor Classic Sportive, so would like it done for April-ish so I can get used to the bike properly before that event.

Colour... either Candy red in tribute to my dad, Gold to replicate the original finish, or a light yellow as it's my favourite colour. We will see!

It currently has a mix of Dura Ace/105/600 bits on there which obviously will all be coming off, as will the 3ttt stem and cinelli handlebars. The brooks saddle may get reused though.

november 19 2022.jpg

My brother on the Clive Stuart sometime around 1987 at a guess. I got my hands on it in 88/89 and rode it all over for a couple of years before I became obsessed with mountain bikes with the purchase of a Marin Palisades in that funky light grey Plastic paint they did.

clive stuart.jpg

Get Rourkes to refinish it. You won't regret it and a rattle can finish will be more than half the cost by the time you add together all the materials. Add in the extra durability of the professional finish and it's a no-brainer IMV.

Plus, your frame will be spaced 120 or 126mm at the rear and if you intend to put a modern 105 gruppo on it, this will need to be widened to 130mm, which with it being 531sl, which was less robust (but lighter) than standard 531, I'd only trust to a frame shop
Also consider whether you want additional braze on fittings which they can do

Frame now booked in at Rourke's for the paintwork, turnaround is about 7 weeks so this thread is going to be quiet for some time yet! Decided on metallic yellow with pearl white panels edged in black. No lug lining as I've never really been a fan. I have to get the bike stripped down and shipped up to them so that's the next job for me.

Managed to find half an hour to disassemble it. Everything came off nicely other than the upper headset cup and haven't even attempted the fork crown race.

The chrome is not quite as good as I remember it being so will be having that redone too. This is my forever bike so want to do it right, once.

I have to say, after cleaning it a little bit the gold is growing on me - I think I might just have it refinished in the original colour... thoughts on how that would look with the modern black colours of groupsets?

Also, for those curious (I was!) I weighed it. It's 55.5cm c-c seat tube and comes in at 2020g frame only (with seat pin bolt in place and upper headset crown), and the fork comes in at 720g (crown race still on). I'm not worried about having the lightest bike around but was just curious. Does that weight ring true in respect of 531SL?

Also, for those who have a Rourkie, as you can see on the BB shell, I'm saying frame no. 909 but it could just as easily be a 606 - I have said 909 as the F and 1 marking on the shell are the same way up as 909. Could someone who has a frame number on their Rourke BB let me know which way up they were stamped please? Thank you :)

IMG-2017.jpg IMG-2018.jpg IMG-2019.jpg IMG-2021.jpg IMG-2026.jpg

Also, for those curious (I was!) I weighed it. It's 55.5cm c-c seat tube and comes in at 2020g frame only (with seat pin bolt in place and upper headset crown), and the fork comes in at 720g (crown race still on). I'm not worried about having the lightest bike around but was just curious. Does that weight ring true in respect of 531SL?
I don't know how much lighter SL was than DB, but fwiw I have a 23" c-t 531db frame which weighs 2075g, the forks weigh 750g- more or less 6lb all in, in old money.

Back