Viking vintage tourer 1960/61 20.5"

Jim_haz

Dirt Disciple
Hi all

I'm sad to be selling the bike that got me into retro road bikes, but I'm low on space and I need some cash to keep the next project cost neutral... or close at least.

What I know about the frame...
The short story is that I don't know what model this Viking is (hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will be able to tell a prospective buyer?).
I've dated it at 1960/61 based on what I've gleaned online. The head badge was apparently introduced in '60 onwards and the left rear dropout is stamped with the frame no. – a practice that stopped around 1961 (switched frame no.s to BB shell post '61). The frame number is V8606, the 'V' prefix commonly appeared on the desirable Reynolds 531 race model, the Severn Valley. I think that this bike may be an exception and not a Severn Valley. The frame geometry, non-nervex lugs and mudguard eyelets suggest a lower-end touring model. Either way, it's an attractively lugged frame, which I believe to be 531... Little paint is left on the forks and toptube but the rest has a decent patina. seat tube measures 20.5" and toptube measures 22.5".

Everything else:
27" Sturmey Archer rims and British Hub Co. Eureka hubs
Williams cottered crank
Weinmann Vainqueur 999 callipers
Early Weinmann levers
Campagnolo downtube shifter Open 'C'
Campagnolo Valentino extra rear derailleur
Brooks B17 narrow
Milremo stem
Milremo seatpin
GB bars – stitched leather handlebar covers
Atom 5-speed freewheel
A beautiful set of (unknown) wingnuts
Mismatched tyres, continental gatorskin rear, schwalbe active amber wall front
A few incongruous items: MKS Pro Vic II pedals, Cane Creek hoods, modern bell
Mudguards not included in the sale (Borrowed them from a friend)

The bike has been regularly used for commutes and is certainly rideable. Rear wheel is 8/10 true with a few modern spoke replacements. Bottom bracket needs TLC to be perfect.

I'm asking £180. Let me know if I'm clouded by sentimentality...
Cash on collection from Swansea or can courier for additional £15.
Inclined to break and and sell if no interest as a complete bike.

More photos available.
Thanks

Attachments

• small3.jpg
    small3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 974
  • small4.jpg
    small4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 974
  • small5.jpg
    small5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 974
  • small6.jpg
    small6.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 974
  • small7.jpg
    small7.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 974
  • small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 974
  • small.jpg
    small.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 976
Last call for interest in the complete bike - 150 posted, or to dibs any parts before it all gets broken and slung on ebay.
Cheers

Back