Withdrawn Very nice 531 Carless (handbuilt in Crewe) 54cm road frame - £125

As you haven,t built & ridden this frame has it been checked proffesionally that it is in track.
Thaks
No, not checked out by a frame builder - however, all looks straight with a set of wheels in and key thing, especially given it’s age, is that there are no signs at all of any crash damage - no dents or dings, or any serious scratches/scuffs - and given the lack of any corrosion at all on the c 40 year old chrome I’d be confident it’s had a very easy life…..

My old frame.....
.tracks as it should with no issues, tight clearances though for narrow 23c tyres, used for TT's back in the day, black & white 80's photos of similar Carless frames on the UK TT website....

I'm back on the case of potentially building this up with a retro-mod, practical build - Sram Apex 10 speed groupset - so I'm withdrawing from sale for the time being whilst I go for the build -

Yip, one & the same...glad it arrived in good order for you...& you're considering a build for it...
I had Campagnolo record hubs on very narrow 20mm Assos sprint rim wheels built for it in the 80's...wheels cost more than the frame... still have them...find it hard to part with the old stuff...

@colnagokid - I've just finished a retromod build on a 531b Swinnerton (a George Longstaff built one) and been on the first ride on it today -it's brilliant - all the comfort and ride quality of an older steel frame, but with a modern(ish) groupset and wheels - rides great - so I have exactly the same groupset and wheels sitting to go on this - I'll put a thread up about both builds at some point!

Last edited:
Good choice, Longstaff was a brilliant engineer one of so many in the Midlands back in the 70's & 80's, sadly taken early....
I had one of his early touring frames which I regretted selling, every one of his frames had an engineering drawing & were custom made..

Back