Varonha Frameworks .

squirrelchaser

Old School Grand Master
I should say at the start it's principally a road bike , sort of . So mods if it's in the wrong place or if it's just plain wrong , do as you must and my apologies .
I first spoke to Winston about building me this more out of curiosity than anything else . He was busy at the time but I arranged to go back and we chatted for around 3 hours about how it might be possible to help me . {and other stuff}
I'm very fortunate to have such an accomplished and pleasant a frame builder as Winston so close to my home , he is a star and his work is second to none . The attention to detail and the lengths he goes to should cost twice as much as they do .
I wanted something that would be fairly upright and comfortable but also fairly light and nippy . Also it needed to work with parts I already have as my pocket money doesn't go far and paper rounds are scarce these days . P1050419.JPG

P1050421.JPG P1050422.JPG
So its 853 with Tange Prestige chainstays and a Columbus steerer .
It has 72 degree head and 74 degree seat angles with a 2" fork rake and an inch up bb . This gives a 20 3/4" top tube and no toe overlap . I will be using 26" wheels and it should accommodate 1.75 tyres and guards , though it might never need the mudguards , we'll see . P1050440.JPG P1050441.JPG P1050442.JPG P1050443.JPG P1050445.JPG
Last Thursday I went with Winston to Aurum Finishing to get it powder coated where I met the very affable Steve {"If you can't make up your mind in 5 minutes I'm doing it matt black"} . RAL 4011 , macho pinkish purple , as chosen by my 5 year old daughter .

The spec so far is

Headset , M Part Elite
Bars , Nitto 151 f 42s {probably}
Stem , I'd like to get Winston to make me one , we'll see
Levers , Campag Racing Triple 9 speed
Calipers , Campag Veloce v-brakes , pads and cables
Mechs , Campag Racing Triple
Cassette , Campag Veloce 13 - 28 , may well change .
Chain , Campag Record C9
Cranks , Campag Racing Triple , 30 - 42 - 50 , also may change .
Bottom Bracket , Campag Centaur
Pedals , Shimano Saint X 80 , also may change .
Rims , Mavic XM 819 ssc
Hubs , Campag Record
Spokes , DT Swiss
Tyres , Vittoria Rubino Pro 1.5" in the sunshine Panaracer Paselas 1.5" or 1.75" in the not sunshine
Saddle , Brooks C17 carved or Selle Italia Flite Max Gel Flo
Seatpost , Nitto S65 or Use P1050471.JPG P1050472.JPG
I'm on a proper tight budget {£25 a week} so there are more compromises than I'd like in the componentry but getting the frame built has been the only real concern as without it and if it doesn't work out I don't know if I'll be able to keep cycling . With regard to this I can only thank Winston for his continued excellence and forbearance .

I was hoping to get some more interesting shots but I still can't ride {surgery tomorrow} . So here's the first iteration .

Attachments

• P1050613.JPG
    P1050613.JPG
    614.9 KB · Views: 155
  • P1050617.JPG
    P1050617.JPG
    529 KB · Views: 77
  • P1050618.JPG
    P1050618.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P1050619.JPG
    P1050619.JPG
    604 KB · Views: 56
  • P1050620.JPG
    P1050620.JPG
    470.7 KB · Views: 80
Love it! Has a bit of a ‘Roughstuff’ feel to it, which I think is great.
Also, I was in a ‘gravel-focussed’ bike shop today and they assured me that 26” was making a comeback! Not sure why they felt they had to say that as I was buying 700c tyres.
Anyhow, love this, and Winston’s work in general.
Look forward to a ride report and more pics. Good luck with the surgery, if I’ve read that right.

That's really cool, top job on the frame as expected. I especially love the Vaz head badge on the frame :)

I'm planning to use Aurum finishing as well to get my Orbit frame (eventually) sorted with new paint. If I'm right in saying wasn't Steve with Armourtex before they moved?

...and best of luck with tomorrow, if you're reading this tonight 👍

Love it! Has a bit of a ‘Roughstuff’ feel to it, which I think is great.
Also, I was in a ‘gravel-focussed’ bike shop today and they assured me that 26” was making a comeback! Not sure why they felt they had to say that as I was buying 700c tyres.
Anyhow, love this, and Winston’s work in general.
Look forward to a ride report and more pics. Good luck with the surgery, if I’ve read that right.
Winston is undoubtedly a superstar .
The high bb gives it a bit of that look I think , thought it's actually like that for pedal clearance on corners .{wide pedals and small wheels}
Thanks , with a bit of luck I'll be back out soon .

That's really cool, top job on the frame as expected. I especially love the Vaz head badge on the frame :)

I'm planning to use Aurum finishing as well to get my Orbit frame (eventually) sorted with new paint. If I'm right in saying wasn't Steve with Armourtex before they moved?

...and best of luck with tomorrow, if you're reading this tonight 👍
Thanks .
I can't say I know Steves history . He seemed to be a nice fella and I'm happy with the job he did . The laquer seems a little thick but not to the point of being an issue .

Beautiful bike - good choice with the colour! Winston Vaz (with colour by Mario) have just renovated and re sprayed a bike for me - top framework guys and some great back-in-the-day stories too.

Back