V brake lever springs

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Digging in my parts bin for some v-brake levers for my Clockwork build I found a pair of Avid AD1.0Ls with a broken spring on one side. Also found some slightly less nice but very similarly designed tektro MT3.0s.

Thought I’d be clever and nick a spring out of the Tektros. Unfortunately it didn’t quite work in the Avids, having a tendency to pop out when compressed. Took the spring back out and put it back in the tektro lever.

When I’d finished I noticed another spring on the carpet. :facepalm:

I’m coming down with a cold, I’m tired, I had a glass of strong cider earlier and it’s generally not the best time to be doing fiddly jobs... I’m not going to take them apart again this evening. It might be obvious when I next look but in the meantime does anyone know where the mystery spring goes?

Attachments

• 2D75534E-C023-4816-BAD8-38BC78A570FD.jpeg
    2D75534E-C023-4816-BAD8-38BC78A570FD.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 453
  • 101112CC-DC67-4F78-83EF-DC1E38EDC937.jpeg
    101112CC-DC67-4F78-83EF-DC1E38EDC937.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 453
  • 8488692E-1A2C-44F1-AE3B-B56C8DB1C534.jpeg
    8488692E-1A2C-44F1-AE3B-B56C8DB1C534.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 453
Well, for once I can speak with authority on the matter....having both the levers you speak of.

The only spring is the lever return; just below your Parktool hex key. However, it looks broke as
there is a short stub missing. Of course the lever will still work without it; still suitable for the front brake.

Now you see, I'm not familiar with modern stuff, so I'm half expecting someone to say the other
"mystery spring" is from the fancy clutch mechanism of a RD-M8100. I wager it's from a wooden clothes peg though.

Re:

Haha brilliant, thanks guys.

Mystery spring is tiny in real life, not clothes peg sized... it’s not in front of me to measure but we’re talking millimetres not centimetres.

I’m inclined to agree that it’s from something else though, even if it’s not a clothes peg. It’s appearance on the living room floor was probably just a coincidence.

Now to decide which brake levers to use. I wanted something sort of nice, the rest of the bike is mostly xt... for fun had some blingy red Shimano DX ones earmarked but they won’t sit nicely next to the grip shifters... hence looking through the parts bin.

Maybe I’ll just use the Tektros, they ain’t fancy, but there’s nothing much wrong with them either. I can’t really think of any justification for spending £30 - £40 on a pair of m739 levers off of eBay...

Back