UPDATE Page 6 Next we have a 93' Manitou FS...

Smithjss70

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
A survivor 93 FS that is crack free at the time of this post :LOL:

I lusted over this bike when it came out but at 23, my resources were very limited. Fast forward 24 years and I finally have a chance to build one up and enjoy doing it at my own pace. It won't be in the same league as Jim's recent build as his frame was new and really quite "unobtainium". Here goes...

jAqjh8.jpg

K9zf9n.jpg

u8xs3P.jpg

Minmj4.jpg

Parts are starting to trickle in and I'm getting my polishing mitts ready for some aluminum love.

zms8f4.jpg

Two new elastomer kits are in route for rebuilds.

gXiMh3.jpg

Found a NOS stem, CK threadless no logo 1.25", seatpost clamp and the elusive Manitou/Ringle monster of a seatpost that's never been inserted. Thanks fellow RBUKers that assisted in the quest! You know who you are! Also scored an original and hard to find FD as well.

KGKZ7G.jpg

FfuaJK.jpg

mAl7O4.jpg

Things are coming together pretty well thus far but I need to run down a minty RD and Flite saddle to close the loop. Will use some new Supers I've saved for just the right build and will lace to 231s

6JC09j.jpg

The rest will be M900 and I'm trying to keep it silver and subtle with just a couple splashes of turquoise, but considering using some black Cooks as I can't locate any silver in great shape. If they don't work I'll use XTR cranks. Thoughts on the black???

P3oOEJ.jpg

Will update the build thread as it progresses but this week the evenings will be spent with some Blue Magic and lots of elbow grease. Gil is popping me some fresh decals in the post this week. For the record, I don't intend to ride it...very far. :D

Thanks!

Re: Next in the stand we have a 93' FS...

:cool: nice, and some lovely looking components too. What size is it?

Mark

Thank you. It's an 18 I believe. The seat tube measures top to center 47cm. Super nervous to press the headset in. I don't intend to use a reducer but to maintain my 1 1/4" setup.

Are those forks NOS? They look mint! The frame size should be engraved in the BB next to the serial number.
Judging by the components so far it's going to be a very nice build. On par with other FS builds I've seen here so far.

Thanks for your help along the way! Wouldn't be here without ya. One of the forks is new in the box. Grafton was having some stuff anodized so I threw a a couple of braces in a while back. Got another one recently from a fellow MTBer. Have some DKGs in route from ano but I doubt I add them. Trying to stick with silver as much as I can. Frame says 21-Sept-93 and 19 so not 18. Thanks!

Was wondering about the braces as they look like the factory ones but blue anodized.
Can't wait to see the finished bike!

Re:

Looks to be the same era as mine, what does the BB shell state

Mines 31 March 93 vintage...

And as for riding mine did approx 1.4 miles before the headtube split.
Its been repaired but will never be virginal again.

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":178r97hu said:
Looks to be the same era as mine, what does the BB shell state

Mines 31 March 93 vintage...

And as for riding mine did approx 1.4 miles before the headtube split.
Its been repaired but will never be virginal again.

You've just posted the info while I was typing :facepalm:

yea I'm squeamish about installing the headset, FD, seattube, BB, stem and even rubbing it. :shock:

If you decide you need silver cranks and wanted to swap those black Cook Bros, I have some nice TNT's that'd suit the Manitou :)

Back