Unneeded bikes as wall art?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Knowing the propensity of cyclists in general, and retrobike collectors in particular, to accumulate bikes, I am looking for ideas...

I have one bike (yes, only one) I don't need. And at the same time, the renovation of a holiday apartment is nearly finished and needs decoration. So I was thinking that rather than selling the bike for peanuts, I could use it to decorate the wall somehow, so I could both keep it in a visually pleasing way and also have a back-up bike in case visitors needed one.

I'm looking for something original or different that leaves the bike usable (no "cut the frame in bits and make a lamp"), apart from the obvious "hang it on the wall", which will be the final choice if nothing better comes up. Since the apartment is quite small but with very high ceilings, the bike needs to be hanged, either to the wall or the ceiling. Bike is a '91 Trek 950 still in good shape. Thanks!

Is that really two bikes perched on two wooden sticks protruding from the wall....? They look like they are just sat on top, not in grooves cut out, or strapped in any way....?

Yeah, id be happy to sit "opposite" looking at them too.....👌

Simplistic for me, works well everywhere I think.
Looks good, is that your setup? I guess it works fine for retrobikes with their short handlebars, but still, a bit too close to the wall... Do you have acrylic paint on the wall so the scuffs from the bikes are easily cleaned? I was thinking in some ledge for the wheels to rest against the wall and then a hook where I can attach a rope to hold the leaning frame...?

Really nice and classy!! The bike fills a place that would otherwise be empty! I like the steel cable idea, will it not cut into the seat leather? Do you need to undo the cables often to clean up the dust?

Is that really two bikes perched on two wooden sticks protruding from the wall....? They look like they are just sat on top, not in grooves cut out, or strapped in any way....?

Yeah, id be happy to sit "opposite" looking at them too.....👌
Thanks. And indeed, what you see is what you get here. No straps, grooves or other binders. I got the sticks from Etsy a while ago, they mount well and give that minimal look.

Looks good, is that your setup? I guess it works fine for retrobikes with their short handlebars, but still, a bit too close to the wall... Do you have acrylic paint on the wall so the scuffs from the bikes are easily cleaned? I was thinking in some ledge for the wheels to rest against the wall and then a hook where I can attach a rope to hold the leaning frame...?
It was my setup in a flat I used to live, not anymore though. Although I’m thinking of doing the same setup in a summer house I’m planning to build, when I have the time.

All that touches the wall is the handlebar grip. Nothing to worry from bike parts messing up the latex-based paint.

PXL_20211226_104916034.jpg
I have a similar setup. Better than some third-class painting. Look at those chainstays. Like the legs of a beautiful woman :p

Back