UK import duty from the EU post 2021

Darcus

Retro Guru
I'm sure I'm not the first or the last to ask this so apologise for repeating the question!

Buying a used part in the EU wet based in the UK.

Is there duty to pay? and how does this work?

THANKS

Assuming you are buying privately. The courier collects duty from you prior to delivery
Duty varied depending on the item you've bought, but bike frames are 4.7%.

It's calculated like this

(Item price + post) X duty = new price
New price X vat
+ Courier handling fee

Assuming you are buying privately. The courier collects duty from you prior to delivery
Duty varied depending on the item you've bought, but bike frames are 4.7%.

It's calculated like this

(Item price + post) X duty = new price
New price X vat
+ Courier handling fee
Ok thanks for this. Is there a way to avoid it? i.e a family and friends type scenario?

you could have the sender declare a zero value for the goods and / or mark it as a gift. Customs were generally a bit lax about checking stuff 12 months ago but I think they've geared up a bit no we're out of the brexit transition period.

Problem with zero value or undervaluing is that if it gets lost you lose out. Prior to Brexit I regularly posted to EU countries, post Brexit it appears that 19% or so is being levied if importing from the EU or to the UK, trouble is its not even applied all the time. I sent a pair of shoes valued at £130 to a friend in Germany with post and import duty they were over £200.

True, but the only times I've tried to claim for lost or damaged items the courier managed to week out of it anyway

Value including insurance and postage comes into play too. There are 2 step up points £39 and £135. This is where additional handling charges and import duty fall. Vat is still charged.

But, its a bit like the wild west and trying to argue after the fact with customs is just a futile waste of time.

Value including insurance and postage comes into play too. There are 2 step up points £39 and £135. This is where additional handling charges and import duty fall. Vat is still charged.

But, its a bit like the wild west and trying to argue after the fact with customs is just a futile waste of time.
I just had one of those futile experiences with Border Force/HMRC. Having to pay 21p in import duties and £27 plus in VAT for mailing back my stuff from Madrid to Manchester, on stuff that I had originally bought and paid VAT on in Manchester. Royal Mail also wanted £12 for processing.

Back