Two minutes flat ... I remember that tube change ...

I've seen goods made from recycled inner tubes and tyres, so it's not all bad news. Below are a few examples:

Upcycled Recycled Handmade Inner Tube Pocket Belt Tyre Hip Bag Festival Eco Friendly Fair Trade Rave Biker Waterproof Travel Pouch

il_794xN.1710091106_kx4b.jpg

The Champion - Inner tube Coin Flatty - 100% Upcycled Inner tube Coin Wallet- Vegan

il_794xN.2551013035_8smx.jpg

Inner tube coin purse, recycled coin purse, ethical coin purse, vegan coin purse, cyclists purse, coin purse for cyclists, vegan purse

il_794xN.1984130563_3rnk.jpg

Puncture Pouch Pencil Case Upcycled Inner tube storage pouch

il_794xN.2610806787_s6pe.jpg

Click here for a wonderful world of stuff made from recycled inner tubes and tyres.

I don't see an issue with using repaired inner tubes at high pressure (120psi). Certainly I've never had any problems in the past. The air in the tube may be pushing the patch off, but once the tube is inside the tyre, the inside of the tyre is pushing back against the patch and the air inside the tube (every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction).

If I'm going to patch a tube and use it at high pressure, my rules are quite simple:
1. Only repair pinhole or very small hole-type punctures. Never repair slit type punctures, cut type punctures, or holes that are much larger than a pinhole.
2. Only use the very best patches and glue. For me that means Rema Tip Top.
3. Follow the instructions. Let the glue dry for several minutes before applying the patch.
4. Prepare the tube very thoroughly with sandpaper first.
5. Don't repair the puncture if the patch will end up on the transition from tyre to rim.

I should also add (at the risk of attracting the puncture fairy) that these days I only ride on tyres that are highly puncture resistant, so I find that punctures are hardly even an issue anymore. Certainly on road I've had very few visitations from the puncture fairy, and my commute used to take me through areas that often had quite a lot of broken glass. When I started riding off road again, I bought tyres that have some puncture protection, and I have slime tubes as an extra layer of protection. If my off road setup is as successful as my road setup then I'll be very happy. Prevention is better than cure!

Well yeah, but you could apply that to all bike maintenance, and a lot of other things that once you learn to (and have time to) repair yourself, are easy.
Yeah, tell me about it. Years ago, it wasn't uncommon to see people doing car maintenance and repairs on their driveway. Now I'm that one weirdo on the road who doesn't take their car to a garage, and does everything themself at home. Anyway, the tools I bought have paid for themselves many times over, so I guess I'm the winner.

ill stick with what i feel works for me,which is the most important point really, if you are fast on a higher pressure, and youve tried lower and found it slower, then atick with your higher pressure.
Ahhh, feelings, can't argue with them. 😉

I always carry a fresh new good quality tube, a pump and a repair kit etc. Depends on my mood, location, weather, company, spectators, colour scheme, conditions as to what happens next after pffft, bugger.

Ahhh, feelings, can't argue with them. 😉
Your right. Lol. But given i was being somewhat of an arse i did drop to 85psi this week for a day then back 100psi on the same route the next. Felt faster on higher psi but i haven't uploaded the rides yet to see what the data says. One should always be willing to change his opinion based of hard evidence,so thats hopefully whay ill have. No feelings.

Yes, i've done back to back with a powermeter/GPS/stuff, only a limited sample size, but with my nice veloflexes in two sizes (same model in 23 and 25) the consistently fastest tyres are the 25s at 75 psi, no handling issues either. Done the same on the MTB, having to do it again now i'm on 29er and doing a few more rides.

Would try the 28s, on the road bike but i've *really* not got clearance.

Back