TuffTrax or Traverse?

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I hate posting photos up here, and using image hosting app's, sorry guys.

Think I've found an interesting discovery though even without photos.

I have what I believed to be a 1992 Saracen TuffTrax frame and fork. When it came to me it had various other parts fitted, a bitsa if you like, or so I thought...

Studying the catalogue on here, which is hard to do as the quality isn't the best, I started to notice little things, and then more things that made me question what I have.

It's the right colour and has the right decals for a TuffTrax, but on comparing the frame features first, then the componets, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that despite the way it's clearly been sold by Saracen, it's actually a Traverse.

Would this have been common practice among manufacturers? Maybe the TuffTrax was so popular due to the price range that there was a shortage, and raher than loose sales, they "downgraded" a better frame to continue to get the sales?

Any stories, or other suggestions to explain this greatfully received.

Re:

I think that Halfords used to get Saracens in that had upgraded features, as an example the tufftrax comp was one I believe, but then close to the end of the year every year Saracen started to do specials with random group/frame/decals mixes so you may have an end of year parts bin special or a Halfords Saracen .

Re:

Yeah, the Eiger was a Halfords only model, usually a rebadged Tufftrax.

As for yours, I guess they bought in batches so maybe did a second run of the Traverse in the style of the Tufftrax? Or the one in the catalogue was not production spec?

Re:

Just looking at the archive, what bits make you think it's a Traverse? Cable routing?

Seem to remember the 92 Tufftrax (or maybe Elite?) getting a favourable review from MBUK which would have made it popular so your thought about painting up other stock to shift Tufftrax could be right as Saracen were always knocking out old stock Special Editions.

Re:

Interesting one then as unlike some years when the frames were made of the same steel that year the Traverse was better. Reckon a decent shout is a second batch of frames ordered but with updated features.

I know it doesn't really mean much, but the bike I have was almost fully equipped with DX too, so even the bits were like a Traverse, not a TuffTrax, funny!

Back