Trek Mogul Black Diamond Forks (1993?)

ishay

Retro Guru
I just picked up a 1993 KHS that had these on. Knowing they certainly weren't standard I assumed they we're semi-modern trash, but a few searches suggest they are 1993 and a really early air shock from the era of elastomers. Anybody have much information about them, I don't recall them being popular at the time? Where there any earlier air shock forks than 1993? Trying to decide whether to keep them or move them on.

I just picked up a 1993 KHS that had these on. Knowing they certainly weren't standard I assumed they we're semi-modern trash, but a few searches suggest they are 1993 and a really early air shock from the era of elastomers. Anybody have much information about them, I don't recall them being popular at the time? Where there any earlier air shock forks than 1993? Trying to decide whether to keep them or move them on.
They were made for Trek by Showa and, in the period when they were selling Matrix parts etc as aftermarket, they were available on their own.
They have some degree of commonality with the forks sold by Tioga (also of Showa manufacture) at the time.

Anybody running them? Are they any good (for their day)? They'll need a bit of TLC to work perfectly, seems to water and/or oil sucking the rebound out a bit (they work best upside down, so maybe on a jump bike ;) ), but I shouldn't think it's too much work and should be within my capabilities. I have an emotional attachment to Manitous which I run on two bikes that I still ride. I wouldn't put these Treks on a garage queen so unless I'm going to use them I may as well move them on.

Back