Trek 970 1990

XTSTIMAN

Senior Retro Guru
Tempted again🤦‍♂️ Nothing exiting or exotic....

In October tempted again and picked up a slightly ratty 1990 Peugeot Surfer cheap, just loved the retro colours. Was thinking of a restomod 'shopper's with racks, but no need at the moment and have frames and parts to make one should the time come.

So what to do with the Peugeot sitting in the shed?

Browsing as we do🙄 on Gumtree spotted the Trek at the Reading Bicycle Kitchen, looked nice.
Decision made, donate Peugeot with some parts and comfort saddles to them and check out the Trek.

Well, the Trek was nice, so ended in my garage.....

Not desirable as a Kona, but like the lugged frame, could be considered a retro feature amongst so many tig welded ones🤔
Loved by the first owner judging by some frame protectors and red cable sleeves, but not greatly used as no rim wear depth and paint touched up. Worse damage/touch up on the left fork, rusty seatpost and bars. Had new looking rubber comfort pedals, but let the Bicycle Kitchen keep them as I would fit others anyway.
All original DX except left STX shifter/lever assembly, even getting to like the newish 2.1 slicks that it came with.

Pictures after a general clean in the only recent dry day and another bike for the nicer weather in the future👍 IMG_20221008_115510.jpg IMG_20230102_122847.jpg IMG_20230102_123118.jpg

Last edited:
That looks gorgeous - what a find!

Colours may not be as rad as the Surfer, but it's guaranteed to be faster in that shade of red 😁

Ahh... a Mountain High bike, that takes me back...my local shop back in the day and source for my long departed '90 Alpinestars Cromega LX and '92 Trek 8700. Wonder whether this was from Princes Risborough or Pangbourne.

Nice score - enjoy it!

Lovely details on the seatpost lug. By my understanding of the Trek naming system, that was actually a top model that year
4 digits mean aluminium, 3 digits Cro-Mo.
The first digit shows quality of the frame itself, 9xx was the best cro-mo frame series, and the second digit is the equipment level, a low number means a cheap group, a high number a better group

Nice, I'm building up a 970 myself.

Was thinking about putting a lugged fork on it but the one it comes with is so light...

Nice frame. Don't make em like they used to

Ahh... a Mountain High bike, that takes me back...my local shop back in the day and source for my long departed '90 Alpinestars Cromega LX and '92 Trek 8700. Wonder whether this was from Princes Risborough or Pangbourne.

Nice score - enjoy it!
Probably from the Pangbourne shop as it was donated to the Reading bicycle kitchen.

Back