Took almost 3 decades but I finally got my hands on one of these....Brodie Sovereign with Gatorblade fork

canuckinboston

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I picked this up in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately its going to be a bit of a project to get the Gatorblade fork (which was acquired separately) to work with the frame. Frame is a 1 1/8 head tube, fork is a threaded 1" with a steer tube thats too short. Happily Chris Dekerf's shop is in my city and he's going to make it work for me.....the process will be a bit involved though. Also although the paint looks great there is rust under all of that and therefore may need to repainted (had already been repainted once with new decals from Jim Nielsen); again, Chris can do this...

I'm going to go with XTR M900 groupset, Syncros revolution cranks (will be refinished) and Syncros post. For wheels I am going to use the Mavic 618 rims with Ringle hubs that I was originally going to put on the Klein.

Will keep you guys posted.

Attachments

• IMG_8631.JPG
    IMG_8631.JPG
    822.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8632.JPG
    IMG_8632.JPG
    553.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8633.JPG
    IMG_8633.JPG
    516 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8634.JPG
    IMG_8634.JPG
    579.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8635.JPG
    IMG_8635.JPG
    556 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_8637.JPG
    IMG_8637.JPG
    701.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8638.JPG
    IMG_8638.JPG
    638 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Very nice :cool: Do you mind sharing the serial number?

Very nice :cool: Do you mind sharing the serial number?
I couldn't see it when I flipped the frame over. However if I do end up repainting it I'll have Chris grab it for me. BTW: if I do go for the repaint I might go with another colour. Thinking either a Kandy Wild Cherry or an attempt to replicate the Klein Sea and Sky green/blue...

Reactions: CTK
Pump peg/U-Brake? Love this Sovereign! Cool that you’ve got it. I believe that I also owned this at one point. Pretty sure this is 2181. For what it's worth, I think the paint could be original? I bought it from its second owner and can't quite recall but don't think it had decals when I got it. Or they were pretty thrashed but all I did was give it a clean and apply some decals thanks to a visit to Jim’s. It originally had a 1st gen Marzocchi fork and a non-ICR Brodie stem on it. It'll be even better with a Gatorblade!

EB9CE9EE-E0EC-4A24-AEAB-C297CDAD4852.jpeg E9F92DE0-FED4-44EB-B151-D2DF44A25D58.jpeg

So cool! Good to meet a fellow Vancouverite!

Yes this Sovereign very well could be your old bike! I'll double check the SN.

I picked it up in Langley from someone who knows Paul; he had it listed on FB marketplace. There is a Deore XT U brake that came with it. I am still tempted to keep the black colour but I have always loved the wild cherry colour and my 96 Klein is also black. Chris was concerned about some bubbling rust on the chain stays, seatstays and BB which is why the repaint is on the table even though superficially it looks great.

Back