Tom Board

80's throwback

Retro Newbie
Hello all.
Back in 1983, I was lucky enough to have a Raleigh Team Replica with Campagnolo Record/ Mavic GP4's. It was stolen from my shed in Hackney after about 6 months.
I was then good friends with Tom Board, who built frames for two friends and myself. They were Columbus tubed, fully chromed and then the main tubes only were sprayed over with lustre colour (mine was red). One friend had his in green, the other in blue.
These frames looked absolutely fantastic. I have never seen another frame finished in this way.
I have always wondered what ever happened to the 3 frames, my bike was stolen in Islington in late 1984 while running an errand for my then employer. I still remember having to walk back about 3 miles wearing Smurf blue Brancale over shoes and cleats on Adidas Merckx shoes.
The frames had T.Board engraved on the top of the seat stays and on the Cinelli fork crowns.
Bit of a long shot but just wondered if anyone here had come across them?

Charlie.

Welcome :). Putting a lacquer over chrome was quite common. Carlton did it and called it acryllichrome, in Italy it was called chromovelato. Fab finish but prone to chipping.

Welcome Charlie. When Tom made my 653 frame, I was keen on having the chainstay and ends chromed and he strongly advised me against it (with the words, "No, don't do that" iirc). I don't know whether this was specific to 653 tubing and I've seen a few examples of his frames with chrome - though never with lacquer over the top.

I do hope your frame resurfaces at some point (as one of my Imperials appeared to on Ebay after having gone awol for 30 years. Police weren't very interested in the end.)
Last I heard of Tom was that he was in a home but was doing OK. Great guy, great frames.

Re:

Thank you for the welcome!
I had always assumed Tom had passed away some time ago (you may remember he was a chain smoker?)
I would like to visit him if I knew where he was?
I went to Belgium with him when I was 15 and would sometimes go over to his flat in Albany Street. Always a nice guy and genuinely loved cycling.
I think he charged £180 for the frame which was super cheap even then. I lost touch with him after the bike was stolen as I didn't want to tell him. I ended up buying a Roberts in 1985.

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_134553653.jpg
    IMG_20200811_134553653.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 526
Reynolds said that some of its tubes should not be polished and chromed, was thin enough already lol. Some people chromed it anyway :).

Darren at http://www.phoenixhotworks.com/ used to visit him regularly. Last time I was in contact was in 2017 so hopefully Tom is still with us.
Darren is a really nice bloke too btw and certified 753 builder so he's quite handy with a torch.

Must have been a very foggy day when that pic was taken :cool: but you can still tell it is a great bike. My favourite Cinelli 1R stem by the look of it too. Is that a Super Record rear mech?. Can't think what I'd do with myself if anyone ever nicked mine. What happened to the 2 friends? Surely they kept the bikes.

Re:

Ha ha no fog, just a cheap camera and a bad photographer.
It's a Cinelli 1a stem, 65 bars, Turbo saddle I think. Super Record mechs, Modolo levers, Mavic GP4's
On Record large flange hubs.

One of the friends gave up cycling a year later. The other one was training with Eddie le Surf and soon after moved to Holland but not sure if he carried on cycling.
We were in Lea Valley Cycling Club, where I met Dick (H.R.Morris) and spent many Saturdays in his shop in Walthamstow. He would be brazing a frame or building a wheel while all this chit chat was going on in the background. He was a true gentleman and lovely man,and one of the best craftsman around. I was told that Dick was trying to retire but he had a 7 year waiting list and found it hard to say "no" when asked to build a frame.

Back