Tioga/Sugino tension Disk 2.0

Chungu

Old School Hero
I open this post, I don't know if there is another similar one, so you can see and we can share doubts, problems and breakdowns with our Tioga/Sugino tension Disk wheels. I have several, including some New in box, I also have them broken. I have already fixed some. Now what I am going to tell you is how I am going to change a 700 to a 26. My 700 was with the plastics detached, so I decided to disassemble to glue again. But I thought…..What if I change the configuration, cut the plastics and make a 26??

The original strings were also worn out, and I also started looking for some new Kevlar strings, and after searching, I found the same ones.
And the plastics? they are old and with dry glue , I also found different types of acetate.

While testing the old rope , it also occurred to me to ask a friend to sell me his Sugino kit of loose parts . So in the end, I will make the change from 700 to 26, make one from scratch, and repair another one that I have with a broken string. I will show you photos of the steps, and the material that I will use.

These first photos are from the first rehearsals
 

Attachments

  • A7CDDDC8-7724-4781-B1FD-E88D18A2FD2A.jpeg
    A7CDDDC8-7724-4781-B1FD-E88D18A2FD2A.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 54
  • B991CA26-CA70-4144-9D5C-11E0E29316CB.jpeg
    B991CA26-CA70-4144-9D5C-11E0E29316CB.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 9919DDA4-6718-407C-B1A4-853E5C26EA27.jpeg
    9919DDA4-6718-407C-B1A4-853E5C26EA27.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 9D79C090-8E75-4EE9-A345-EB3D32D16429.jpeg
    9D79C090-8E75-4EE9-A345-EB3D32D16429.jpeg
    783.3 KB · Views: 48
and this one, in the shape of tioga/sugino pro
 

Attachments

  • 1BFDBC5E-246B-4F85-A1D6-B34F54A8050A.jpeg
    1BFDBC5E-246B-4F85-A1D6-B34F54A8050A.jpeg
    731.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 04990976-3D2C-48E8-895D-A5C22B3229B0.jpeg
    04990976-3D2C-48E8-895D-A5C22B3229B0.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 30
and the new rope test

As soon as I have all the material organized, I start with the final assembly. It's going to be fun .
 

Attachments

  • 9294EA5A-F5E5-4D6A-ACBE-18010E445545.jpeg
    9294EA5A-F5E5-4D6A-ACBE-18010E445545.jpeg
    445.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 93FAF25A-A56B-4C24-8456-C9B9FA716463.jpeg
    93FAF25A-A56B-4C24-8456-C9B9FA716463.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 45C9B466-8557-481C-942B-8087F7E0C178.jpeg
    45C9B466-8557-481C-942B-8087F7E0C178.jpeg
    609.1 KB · Views: 27
  • BA6D6E96-96EC-4DEE-8ED6-B5A4EC333E70.jpeg
    BA6D6E96-96EC-4DEE-8ED6-B5A4EC333E70.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 5999FDE4-2AC6-4F66-9BBE-4DEB23AC936E.jpeg
    5999FDE4-2AC6-4F66-9BBE-4DEB23AC936E.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 30
Looks like a challenging and time consuming project, good luck!

I have a pair of DD Pro sheets which have delaminated, and so far I've only managed to clean most of the crystallised glue from the bulk areas of one set of the sheets ready to attempt to glue them back together again. However all the glues I've tested to date (on similar clear plastics) didn't hold. I did buy what I believe to be the correct glue for the PET/PETG Mylar(?) sheet (I think that's what the original material was from memory but don't quote me...) but have yet to find the time to set myself up to try it.

I'll be watching with interest!
 
Looks like a challenging and time consuming project, good luck!

I have a pair of DD Pro sheets which have delaminated, and so far I've only managed to clean most of the crystallised glue from the bulk areas of one set of the sheets ready to attempt to glue them back together again. However all the glues I've tested to date (on similar clear plastics) didn't hold. I did buy what I believe to be the correct glue for the PET/PETG Mylar(?) sheet (I think that's what the original material was from memory but don't quote me...) but have yet to find the time to set myself up to try it.

I'll be watching with interest!
I have read and heard many things about glue, I am going to try 3. Transparent 3M spray, Canopy glue modellers and since I am going to change the plastic sheets, since the original Sugino 700 sheets are shaped by the strings and even cutting and making new holes, the shapes of the strings will not match, I am going to try using self-adhesive acetate.
the way to make it stick well, whatever the glue, will be with heat and a vacuum bag. It is something that is used to make carbon fiber parts.

I have also managed to find aluminum mesh just like the original, for Sugino and Tioga Comp. The next few days I will draw the measurements on the new plastics, cut them out and make the holes with a punch to make holes in the leather.
 

Attachments

  • 49F108E1-FBFC-46A3-8902-F2052B3FE932.jpeg
    49F108E1-FBFC-46A3-8902-F2052B3FE932.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
rebuilding disk drives has been discussed a LOT over the years. materials have moved on a lot in the last 30 years. given the few companies making spokes out of dyneema rope, i'd suggest replacing the tioga disk weak spot of the kevlar & replacing it with dyneema rope
 
rebuilding disk drives has been discussed a LOT over the years. materials have moved on a lot in the last 30 years. given the few companies making spokes out of dyneema rope, i'd suggest replacing the tioga disk weak spot of the kevlar & replacing it with dyneema rope
enlighten me.
 
I'm looking at using Dyneema shock Chord from powerkite controls as a replacement, also I'm sure there was a guy who used boat sail glue as an alternative
 
Back
Top