Thoughts on the Trek 820 Antelope?

Yes - it's not the fanciest, but it looks like it was stored indoors, as well. Also looking at a couple of older steel frame Kuwahara's, a same period Univega, a same period Raleigh, a '97 Specialized Rockhopper, and a late 90s Cannondale, the only one w/a suspension fork.

Old kuwaharas are bombproof. I got a 97 rockhopper which was my main rider for a long time, probably should get that one back on the road soon.

60 moose dollars for old rideable steel from a reputable brand is good.

Old kuwaharas are bombproof. I got a 97 rockhopper which was my main rider for a long time, probably should get that one back on the road soon.

The Antelope is 20". I'm looking for 17-19# (5'9")

Last edited:
My Norco Wolverins is 20#. My daily commuter, now dying on me. I could probably handle the Antelope. I should check it out.

I am looking at "retro" rides, for a number of reason - cost being one, but I've never been one to follow the crowd! Currently investigating two Kuwahara's (an old Savage and an old Shasta), a '97 Specialized Rockhopper, a Cannondale F300, and old late 80's Raleigh Matterhorn... A '91 Miyata Evolution... A Univega Rover-306... Two Treks - 830/930 early 90s (one's fantastic looking, but too expensive), a late 80's Fiori (Norco Canada)... An early 90's Giant 870 ATX... And a mid-90's Schwinn Sierra. I really want to re-experience the old steel frames, once again.

Tough to decide on which one to get! I posted the others I'm looking at, as well. The Miyata is real cheap, and outside some paint chipping, seems to be an ideal commuter, as well.

I have five acoustic guitars. I could see me having five bikes! (Not sure how my wife would respond to that, but I have enough kids to ride four of them, if I went five deep! ;) )

If the components are in good shape, $60 is not bad. You can always find another(better) frame later and move almost everything over.

My Norco Wolverins is 20#. My daily commuter, now dying on me. I could probably handle the Antelope. I should check it out.

I am looking at "retro" rides, for a number of reason - cost being one, but I've never been one to follow the crowd! Currently investigating two Kuwahara's (an old Savage and an old Shasta), a '97 Specialized Rockhopper, a Cannondale F300, and old late 80's Raleigh Matterhorn... A '91 Miyata Evolution... A Univega Rover-306... Two Treks - 830/930 early 90s (one's fantastic looking, but too expensive), a late 80's Fiori (Norco Canada)... An early 90's Giant 870 ATX... And a mid-90's Schwinn Sierra. I really want to re-experience the old steel frames, once again.

Without seeing them all or knowing which is the best fit for you the Miyata would be my choice!

Back