Things which work...and carry on working

Re: Re:

2manyoranges":1q8759ee said:
And really good for the planet....reuse reuse and use again....

A good point. Much of the old XT stuff is bombproof. I have a set of hubs thats prolly been on 20 bikes, commuted for years and are still as smooth as. People say we should be less wasteful of resources and fix things. The Japanese and Scandinavians are pioneers with repairing things but will it happen here, I doubt it ?

On xt.....The STX on the silver C16R above had worked flawlessly for 20 years and many many miles, still original chainrings, cassette and on second chain. The reason (as I put in another thread) is (i) cycling on the South Downs, where the chalk dust seems to lubricate rather than wear things when it's dry, and is like a mild paste when wet. Unlike the horror of the millstone grit in the North, or the granite dust of the South West, which tears everything to bits in hours....and of course (ii) maintenance. Not shirking on it. hand washing after a muddy ride, or wiping down after a dusty one, lubing with the right stuff, and servicing drive chain when it needs it, not a week later.

But the LH shifter was playing up of the first time ever, at the weekend, so I stripped it and yes, it was the small pillar ratchet. All good, just blast with GT85 and then add light grease. Until....ping....tinkle tinkle roll roll roll clunk. Somewhere in the workshop. There goes the special washer between the top plate and the lower mechanism. Find it I could not. So I went through the washer and bits box and found an old French stainless chainring bolt which was exactly the right internal and external dimension, but too tall. Careful filing for 20 mins, then straight in, tighten, and perfect operation. Lovely jubbly. Clikety click.

On...Shimano BBs...UN92s, 72s and 52s......I think that they just run and run.....
Hiya bud, my c16r chain has just gone, not bad as its the original lol, just wondering what chain yo teplace it with?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Blimey this is a bit of a zombie thread but the issue is still live ….

I have a SILCA track pump I bought maybe 35 years ago. It’s still the pump my son prefers to use. As long as the next five generations can get the leather washers (I got the last one from the ‘States…) then that pump will still be pushing air when the Sun turns into a red dwarf…

And just seen this…

What??? Has the world gone mad (spoiler…yes)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back