Things which were made of cheese. The nightmare recalled.

Re Tioga disc drive - I never understood the appeal or function of them, nor the muddy fox plastic wheel cover. Riding on the top of the South Downs there was constant side wind even on a seemingly static summer day, and when a hooley was on, you had to lean at 45 degrees to make progress in a straight line, and I once experienced moving a metre sideways whilst doing the most modest of bunny hops. Now, imagine what all that would be like if you made your rear wheel into a sail…..
I had a black and white crackle wheel disc cover on my 89 Muddy Fox Streetfinder (I couldn't afford a genuine MF one), this made my bike super awesome in the school bike shed, so purpose was entirely functional. Living by the north sea though, it was challenging in a cross wind...

Re Tioga disc drive - I never understood the appeal or function of them, nor the muddy fox plastic wheel cover. Riding on the top of the South Downs there was constant side wind even on a seemingly static summer day, and when a hooley was on, you had to lean at 45 degrees to make progress in a straight line, and I once experienced moving a metre sideways whilst doing the most modest of bunny hops. Now, imagine what all that would be like if you made your rear wheel into a sail…..
I think they were to stop things jamming in your rear wheel, strangely a problem I never really felt the need of solving...

Gripshift X-ray - cracked
Onza buzz-saw - folded in half
Aluminium bolts - rounded, sheared
Dark anodised rims - scratched to a odd cammo pattern after a few muddy rides

Cannondale (Sameness?) crmo ahead stems 1994/5. Too small wedge area, did not keep tight, but when tightened almost enough, bolt would ruin the thin steel thread.

Sorry to anybody with one but.......

Offroad Proflex. 10 / 10 for invention, but 1 / 10 for actually rideability.

Had one of the first "suspension" ones........biggest purchase mistake.....ever.......nothing has even come close in the following 30 years!

Heavy, with a frame so solid to accommodate the non functioning "suspension" that a Raleigh activator felt like it had more travel........

However, i do still use the toe clips and they are my favourite!

Oh and obviously grafton cranks......

"We have cut away just enough metal to make them too weak to actually function"

Engineering genius.......

Gripshift X-ray - cracked
Onza buzz-saw - folded in half
Aluminium bolts - rounded, sheared
Dark anodised rims - scratched to a odd cammo pattern after a few muddy rides
Re: onZa, I have a couple though never used them.
I would have thought being SS they’d be strong af, obvs not.🤷‍♂️

Back