The unicorn bike paradox

Yeah.. that's exactly it. My unicorn was a '95 Kona Hei Hei Titanium, so I went n+1.

Life is good, I'm in a happy place. I'm done.

Then I did some research and found out here from @Pipmeister and @Mortonm that there was a '96 Hei Hei King Kahuna with different tubing...

Now, I'm done, but the '95 Kilauea (20" Frame Only) and '98 Mt. Tam (complete bike) have to go.

1995 Kona Hei Hei on the left
1996 Kona Hei Hei King Kahuna on the right. This was a local bike originally purchased from a bike shop in January 1996.

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_123521.jpg
    IMG_20211028_123521.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Yeah.. that's exactly it. My unicorn was a '95 Kona Hei Hei Titanium, so I went n+1.

Life is good, I'm in a happy place. I'm done.

Then I did some research and found out here from @Pipmeister and @Mortonm that there was a '96 Hei Hei King Kahuna with different tubing...

Now, I'm done, but the '95 Kilauea (20" Frame Only) and '98 Mt. Tam (complete bike) have to go.
The 96 KK is not easy to find as you likely know, only the rear triangle is different tubing (6-4 Ti)

at least, visually, its not really any different looking than the other Hei Heis, just the seat stay decal. The next year they moved to the ovalized tubing and gussets

Unicorns come in all shapes and sizes. One mans unicorn is another mans donkey with a fake horn glued on!

Keep chasing those beasties guys. The exercise keeps you young!

Would unicorn be the correct term? I thought grail would be more appropriate

I escaped unscathed - someone else finally plunked down for the pristine version of my unicorn. Mine will now be built up with dirt drops for shitsngiggles.

Would unicorn be the correct term? I thought grail would be more appropriate

Well, unicorns don't exist.

But I suppose if you believe in Jesus the Holy Grail might.

Although I think we use both those terms for a reason.

It's the journey, the hunt, that we're after. The quest and search. Not the object in your hands at the end of it.

It's the journey, the hunt, that we're after. The quest and search. Not the object in your hands at the end of it.
Very well put and very clear!!

I semi agree but surely there is the joy of ownership...unless you get the "never meet your heroes" syndrome...but I agree the quest is a big part of it.

My unicorn bikes were a Bridgestone MB1 and a Bianchi Grizzly RC (or Super Grizzly? the rigid fork one made in Italy without any gimmicks).

I "settled" for an '91 MB2 and a '95 Bianchi Denali RC. I am very happy with both and no longer pine for the unicorns.

In my eyes, a unicorn doesn't have to be expensive. It is what you desired as a younger person and fulfills that void. I always looked up to my older very fast cousin who would usually perform very well at the local MTB races riding an unbranded e-stay mountain bike. Seeing him with M732 thumb shifters, I thought he was the don. I've no idea what bike he rode!

The two bikes I wanted as a teenager was a Formula One Cycles MTB (local to me) and a Bradbury Manitou (after reading a great review in a UK magazine) - both of which I now own after 20-years of collecting. But, I'm still hunting for those rarer bikes.

Back