The unicorn bike paradox

Don't know - not finished building it yet! It's one of the very first '91 M2 Team frame sets [date stamped '90] in a lovely platinum with yellow decals. The paint scratches so easily on the M2 frames that I kept it wrapped as it was packaged / received until I'd finished building it. Which I, er, still haven't done! Doh!

#theresalwaysanewsomethingorothertobuildfirstandthatswhymostofmybikesarehalfbuiltwhensomethingelsearrivesandstealsmyinterest

I live my life by that hashtag!

I'm with Sinnerman on this one.

Image plays a massive role. It's what you desired, what you wanted, what you wanted to be seen riding.

Same with the breakdown of what constitutes a unicorn....

1. The rare and desirable. The ones that are known to exist but are rarely seen

2. The High cost / low chance of obtaining builds that we could have only imagined of owning.

3. Your bike from back in the day that you want to own again....a unique personal unicorn that rings your bells.

My own take on unicorns ..With pictures as requested! :cool: 👍

#1 The rarity. Raleigh Dynatech Endeavour.
Took 10 years to find one. Took research to prove providence. Can be a mis- understood unicorn.
View attachment 574102

#2 Klein Attitude and Pace RC100
The one you dreamed of owning/planned the dream spec/ had no chance of owning.... but when you do, that's your unicorn achievement. One for the collection.....but like every Retro hunter, you go looking for the next unicorn.
Most understand and appreciate that unicorn.
... but it's not everyone's unicorn.
View attachment 574101
View attachment 574104

#3 Orange Aluminium 'O'
The personal unicorn. Probably the unicorn that means the most to you but maybe not seen as a unicorn by others.
View attachment 574107

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy
Please have a look at October’s Bike of the month, I think you’ll appreciate my entry.

COMPLEMENTING RACE FACE FINISHING KIT, CRANKS, RINGS, HEADSET, GRIPS, BAR, STEM, SEATPOST..jpg MAVIC CROSSRIDES CONTI TYRES.jpg THE PAINTWORK IS ART, THE RIDE IS SUBLIME, THE CONDITION IS LOVELY..jpg

I also have a bike thats rapidly becoming a unicorn / obsession with owning....im not sure if the two things are quite the same.

Ive been after an 853 21" rocky mountain blizzard from around 2002 ish for years....2 have slipped through my hands for differing reasons......i only want the frame......thats all.....why cant i have it......please!

It started as " ooooh that would he nice" and now im actively consumed by the quest.

So....is this the feeling you get when approaching a unicorn or is it just blind obsessive passion!

I don't expect anybody to get this except me.....but is that part of it ?

View attachment 575535
I had a 20th anniversary model for years, and can only say it was a fantastic steel frame....! Good luck with the search, it will be worth the wait.

Greg only lived down the road from me bitd. He built my mates frame, I could not even get on it....it was ridiculous geometry! Like a time trial bike! Not gregs fault!

Fantastic frames....

@sinnerman ....
Hub protector thingies...?
Yes, those silver discs, i notice you have one on the back too? I assumed they were like hub " rock ring"?

I assume to stop you just shove your converse in the gap between the tyre and the fork brace?.....as you seem to have no brakes.

What stops you owning your dream/ unicorn bike? I already own 4 unicorns. The stable is full.
What makes a unicorn for you? And why don't you have it? Something that makes me feel warmer and fuzzier than all the other bikes, I do have it but I need a stem & paint.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 35
Money, availability and fear seem to be the main reasons posted above!

Never meet your heros.....you might realise they are just human like you.

Greg only lived down the road from me bitd. He built my mates frame, I could not even get on it....it was ridiculous geometry! Like a time trial bike! Not gregs fault!

Fantastic frames....

@sinnerman ....

Yes, those silver discs, i notice you have one on the back too? I assumed they were like hub " rock ring"?

I assume to stop you just shove your converse in the gap between the tyre and the fork brace?.....as you seem to have no brakes.
oh i see, sorry i was miles away..., That was part of the charm to be fair, it rode like a perfect 853 steel hardtail, its paint for me, very retro, and yet with the XTR offered up the best of both worlds, Retro and Modern.

Back