The unicorn bike paradox

I also have a bike thats rapidly becoming a unicorn / obsession with owning....im not sure if the two things are quite the same.

Ive been after an 853 21" rocky mountain blizzard from around 2002 ish for years....2 have slipped through my hands for differing reasons......i only want the frame......thats all.....why cant i have it......please!

It started as " ooooh that would he nice" and now im actively consumed by the quest.

So....is this the feeling you get when approaching a unicorn or is it just blind obsessive passion!

I don't expect anybody to get this except me.....but is that part of it ?

1633714443477.png

It started as " ooooh that would he nice" and now im actively consumed by the quest.

So....is this the feeling you get when approaching a unicorn or is it just blind obsessive passion!

I don't expect anybody to get this except me.....but is that part of it ?
I think it is that active driving quest to find one, then a period of "Oh well... Why can't I find one ?". Then one just pops up out of the blue, normally when you can least afford it, then the prevaricating do I, don't I... Then whoosh someone else buys it, and you then start cursing yourself for not buying it...

Each Unicorn is private and personal...

Great thread. Lots of different reasons for desiring and chasing iconic retrobikes it seems. With the fashion for all things retro and gravel bikes, I think our old classics have plenty of life left in them. Just hope my spares can last. Mobdro

Last edited:
Hovered over the BIN button on eBay for a few of mine but could never bring myself to press it. For me there’s an element of “never meet you’re heroes” to it. Started mountain biking in ‘89 and have always moved with the times. I’m used to how well modern bikes handle and perform, and for me, older bikes just can’t match them.

Don’t get me wrong, many of the bikes pictured above hold a very dear place in my adolescence. Hours spent re-reading grubby copies of MBUK and MBA (when I could get it) but I know deep down I’d be disappointed. If there was one bike, nothing screams early nineties to me like a tricolour Klein Attitude, but I’m not sure I could even ride one these days. Even my ‘97 STS is so cramped I struggle on it.

I know it’s not the same, but lots of small frame builders out there now that can build whatever you want, that’ll actually fit and ride much better. Looking forward to seeing what weird and wonderful creations are on show at Bespoked this weekend.

My gut feel is that modern bike makers have identified and distilled out the main handling characteristics of the ‘best’ of classic retro. Its a long learning curve. Certain retro makers were better at this process than others, usually to the detriment of profitability.

@clubby thats the key reason why ride reviews are so important. How else will people get any connection to their dream ride if owners of such retro machines dont give an in depth review ? I hope you get to test that Klein, to see if it lives upto the hype.

For KermitGKona88 ...

For similar reasons to you, I was long time after a non-wishbone Fuquay. :)

I was fortunate to find one a while back, and it was defo a unicorn moment for me.

Greg has confirmed it as an early frame from '92, and was interested in the fact that although the frame is a fillet brazed one, it has the Gumbo forks which he only ever made TIG welded. It's certainly one of my favourite bikes, with the whole look and feel of the bikes I lusted after as a kid. Sharing a [very crap, sorry] photo as I thought you'd probs want to see it!

Attachments

• Fuquay copy.jpg
    Fuquay copy.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Love
Reactions: al
For KermitGKona88 ...

For similar reasons to you, I was long time after a non-wishbone Fuquay. :)

I was fortunate to find one a while back, and it was defo a unicorn moment for me.

Greg has confirmed it as an early frame from '92, and was interested in the fact that although the frame is a fillet brazed one, it has the Gumbo forks which he only ever made TIG welded. It's certainly one of my favourite bikes, with the whole look and feel of the bikes I lusted after as a kid. Sharing a [very crap, sorry] photo as I thought you'd probs want to see it!

How does that green one, made of bubble wrap, handle? :LOL:

Don't know - not finished building it yet! It's one of the very first '91 M2 Team frame sets [date stamped '90] in a lovely platinum with yellow decals. The paint scratches so easily on the M2 frames that I kept it wrapped as it was packaged / received until I'd finished building it. Which I, er, still haven't done! Doh!

#theresalwaysanewsomethingorothertobuildfirstandthatswhymostofmybikesarehalfbuiltwhensomethingelsearrivesandstealsmyinterest

Back