The Trend for Black Finishes on Modern Components

A as
I guess, referring back to the OP, the issue is that silver isn't isn't an available option for a lot of modern components
sign of the times. Same in the automotive and motorbike industry generally peeps don’t want shiny/chrome anymore… unless they're buying into the retro scenes.

Last edited:
Black paint is cheap; cheaper than polishing or anodizing. I agree, it's horrid, especially modern road bikes which all look like butchers' bikes. For some reason a black bike always looks heavy to me.

Black paint is cheap; cheaper than polishing or anodizing. I agree, it's horrid, especially modern road bikes which all look like butchers' bikes. For some reason a black bike always looks heavy to me.
😂 quality. id been looking for an angle for my latest project... which is to be black. from now on it will be known as the butchers bike :cool:

More options these days when it comes to protecting the finish with invisiframe type stuff, which would be ok for the cranks at least. But I'm a fan of silver parts for general use, and I agree regarding rim wear on hard ano rims 😭 . I'm always conscious of my feet angles / proximity to crank arms whenever I'm riding 🤣

I feel the same about car wheels, black just don't do it for me as I like a silver wheel - which can withstand the inevitable kerbing or two without looking awful. I have a compromise of diamond cut on one of my cars, but even that is a pain to refurb, so I'll be going all silver on the next - if its an option that is...

Another fan of black components.

I imagine along with the cost factor mentioned above there is also the high possibility of owners upgrading parts, which have a vast array of finishes and colours to satisfy even the most picky personalizers :)

Back