'The Springs' Bomber....£££s

I love the look of these, say what you like they look like nothing else, and the fact that they appeared when they did, at the dawn of mtb as we know it, but alas that's just the nostalgia goggles again, along with the Strika and Grifter, Bombers were among the first true blood BSO's, cynically designed to look like something real (BMX/ATB) in order to cash in on those new emerging US trends, but built so as not to feel or behave anything like them, cheaply made tat and the epitome of style over substance.

If only they'd used better steel and superior components then they might have become true classics, a poor showing from Raleigh really, although fun for kids at the time.

Last edited:
Seems people here tried, Raleigh USA had some decent MTBs out by this time....so shortsighted of them not to bring them out in the uk too.

The original Bomber was basic & cheap...so at least it was affordable to average kids, unlike early MTBs and Ihad a lot of fun with mine, riding it, wrecking it, changing it around..was unusual too, so stood out from the BMX crowd until MTBs became the norm.

Seems people here tried, Raleigh USA had some decent MTBs out by this time....so shortsighted of them not to bring them out in the uk too.

The original Bomber was basic & cheap...so at least it was affordable to average kids, unlike early MTBs and Ihad a lot of fun with mine, riding it, wrecking it, changing it around..was unusual too, so stood out from the BMX crowd until MTBs became the norm.
They look cool af, and yes, many kids would had countless hours of fun on them, and no doubt these led to a love for off roading later in life, fun bikes just not good bikes. This one looks like it's had some upgrades and may be slightly better than the basic models, but +/- £350 is insane money, if it gets under the skin of a nostalgic millionaire then who knows 😄

Its a weird one and no nostalgia kick for me for this model....other than i made mine into a 10spd.

Waiting with baited breath for LGFs comments...😀

Back