The Shed Thread

My shed has a bit of a story. It originally started life as one of a pair of gable ends for our newly purchased derelict house.

I put one of the gables up on the other end of the house when I re-did all the roof trusses and had it thatched. It wasn't until I walled the first gable up that I found out I had put it on the wrong end of the house :roll: That end was slightly narrower than the other, so now the wall swells out a little when you look down the length of the house. :facepalm:

Anyway, the other gable was good brick and I really didn't want to take it out so I had the extra bottom part of the gable hanging around for a few years. I put the top part up when I did the roof, you can see it in the photos of the shed.

One day after a particularly unpleasant winter in our new house, there came a knock at the door. It was the gas engineer come to survey the boiler :shock: Oops! When I did the roof I put in a temporary flue made of drain pipe, as I raised the roof by a meter to get some stand up space in the loft. (later conversion project) would he notice the bit of plastic drainpipe dangling from string and tape in the loft and connected to the boiler. :idea: Don't let him go in the loft.

Well he could see it from downstairs, as the crafty bugger had a torch with him and there was a hole in the ceiling. Boiler duly condemned. :( Letter received from the state telling us we had 30 days to sort it out :evil:

To cut a rather long story short I needed a new flue for the boiler and there was no way of fitting one without taking out an extra mortgage or selling a spare kidney. I needed a shed to act as a boiler room and there I rememberd that I had half a gable and as I had all the material to hand I would simply :LOL: put up the gable and extend the walls to form a shed for the boiler and my toys for very little outlay.

Reclaimed windows were already stashed in the other shed, I had stone that I needed to get rid of, Oak was to hand and I had a chisel :D A few trenches later and some banging about with a bit of head scratching, a shed was duly formed for less than the cost of a new flue.

And there you have it, my shed story.

I had stone that I needed to get rid of, Oak was to hand and I had a chisel :D A few trenches later and some banging about with a bit of head scratching, a shed was duly formed
I hope that we are all duly impressed by his understatement...brilliant :D

All the best,

danson67":hme7h9c4 said:
I had stone that I needed to get rid of, Oak was to hand and I had a chisel :D A few trenches later and some banging about with a bit of head scratching, a shed was duly formed
I hope that we are all duly impressed by his understatement...brilliant :D

All the best,

Absolutely ! :shock:
I have no shed just my humble garage, but if I had one i'd like it like that ! :D

Here is my shed that ive had since I moved into my house 7 years ago, all i had to do was put a new door on it and it was a good shed, a bit breezy and damp, but good enough to store the garden essentials and my 08 commencial meta.

But since I bought my rc200 earlier in the year, the retro bug has bitten, and ive since added a 99 mount vision pro, and im taking delivery of a Raleigh ti in the new year, so my small shed is getting pretty full, so I thought these bikes need a new home so I built a new one, not finished yet but its getting there, it will be nice to have some space and for it to be dry.

im going to do a couple of runs of cupboards for storage with worktop as benching, power all round, with some sort of heating just on frost watch mode, lighting and then a full height cupboard in one corner to keep all garden tools out of the way.
may also insulate and plasterboard if I get the spare time.
Maybe dartboard hmmm???

bugloss":1helpef0 said:
My shed has a bit of a story. It originally started life as one of a pair of gable ends for our newly purchased derelict house.

I put one of the gables up on the other end of the house when I re-did all the roof trusses and had it thatched. It wasn't until I walled the first gable up that I found out I had put it on the wrong end of the house :roll: That end was slightly narrower than the other, so now the wall swells out a little when you look down the length of the house. :facepalm:

Anyway, the other gable was good brick and I really didn't want to take it out so I had the extra bottom part of the gable hanging around for a few years. I put the top part up when I did the roof, you can see it in the photos of the shed.

One day after a particularly unpleasant winter in our new house, there came a knock at the door. It was the gas engineer come to survey the boiler :shock: Oops! When I did the roof I put in a temporary flue made of drain pipe, as I raised the roof by a meter to get some stand up space in the loft. (later conversion project) would he notice the bit of plastic drainpipe dangling from string and tape in the loft and connected to the boiler. :idea: Don't let him go in the loft.

Well he could see it from downstairs, as the crafty bugger had a torch with him and there was a hole in the ceiling. Boiler duly condemned. :( Letter received from the state telling us we had 30 days to sort it out :evil:

To cut a rather long story short I needed a new flue for the boiler and there was no way of fitting one without taking out an extra mortgage or selling a spare kidney. I needed a shed to act as a boiler room and there I rememberd that I had half a gable and as I had all the material to hand I would simply :LOL: put up the gable and extend the walls to form a shed for the boiler and my toys for very little outlay.

Reclaimed windows were already stashed in the other shed, I had stone that I needed to get rid of, Oak was to hand and I had a chisel :D A few trenches later and some banging about with a bit of head scratching, a shed was duly formed for less than the cost of a new flue.

And there you have it, my shed story.
Nice skills and shed, but I'm not letting you anywhere near my boiler! ;)

Regards

Back