the retro hi-fi thread!

Me has

Project debut
Micromega stage 1
Marantz something or other amp( richer sounds buy to get the project going after the phono stage went on my teac amp)
Mission 733's with a big hole in one of the drivers. The cones seem to go quite brittle and the wife stuck her finger through it :(

moved over too a more home cinema set up and listened to everything through that, the wife then evicted it from the front room.

mostly listen to music on the pc and ipod now though this thread has kinda got me goin again, maybe hook up the pc to the amp and get that speaker fixed.

Mr Panda":3hgpm1h7 said:
Linn Sondek LP12 :p
Micromega Stage 3 :LOL:
Audiolab 8000A and 8000P combo :twisted:
Mission 753 :twisted: :twisted:

....and that'll do me (even learned to live with the micromega, vive la france :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

Great use of emotions fella. :LOL:

Sondek's gotta be worth a :D though. .. If only CDs....

The Linn's nice - listened to much old vinyl after buying it a few years ago, then started picking up old LPs from charity shops at 50p a go :roll:

Used to have a top-loading Rega Planet mk1 which was brilliant in the looks dept and provided endless hours of amusement when guests asked where the CD drawer and eject button was :LOL: :LOL: Sometimes wish I'd kept it but the micromega just blew it away on all fronts, even if it does look like a sardine can. Must get round to greasing the transport drawer cog thingys - which I believe solves all ills ;)

almost anything based around the Phillips CDM/ Pro mechs sounded good.

Audiolab 8000CD/CDM
Meridian MCD Pro/ 207/ 506 16bit etc
Micormega
Krell
Mark Levinson
Marantz

Some good non Phillips transports came from Pioneer (stable platter), Teac VRDS, Denon and the monster Technics X1000/ Z1000

Later on, DACs made up for the awful jitter supplied by cheap CD ROM based players/ Transports.

My Theta's a stable platter job. I like the way it's upside down so functions like a turntable. It also means the laser doesn't pick up dust and CD's look cool, shiney side up! :D
It impresses friends anyway.

I've a Pioneer stable platter CD player, confuses my little lad and the mrs. Still sounds bloody good even if it is 15 years old.

Like this:
Pioneer-PD-S802.jpg

hey nice thread!

Some good old kit about.
Having been into older hifi myself, I have a few bits stashed away for a rainy day. Quad 33 and 3x 303's are nice bits of old technology. Interesting topology too. Meridian 105's and pre amp 101? cant remember now, but sweet amps, and much nicer than the quads.

Current setup though consists of a more home cinema slant.
Av32r with a stack of upgrades, used to be a TMG demo unit, so prolly used by LGF as some point :LOL:
This was much better than the AV30 I bought and took home, which was most unimpressive, and had a lot of hiss from the rear channels..
Picked up a matching 5x100 amp when TMG went to shit too, which is nice. Coupled with a now ageing Denon DVD player, this works pretty well for music and movies.
This all drives some Ruark speakers, so not your most common choice there, quite pleased with them, but they dont come close to the Heybrook HB3s of my parents :cry:

Interesting speaker of choice in the garage are the Rogers db101's. Funky and punchy little speakers that need a good amp.

I have a Musical Fidelity phono amp for when the vinyl mood takes me, but need a decent deck now. Couldn't steal the parents PT LPT :(

Great thread...love bikes and stereos.

Main system
Classe .3 CD player
Classe CAP151 Amp
Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rod
Rega Planar 3 with RB300 arm

Partial DJ system
Pioneer CDJ1000MK2 (2)
Allen and Heath XONE 62
Searching for an amp and speakers.

Happy riding to all. :D

hey... those CDJs are the nuts!!

After years of vinyl mixing.. was sceptical. But they are great and soo easy! Can get pretty creative with them too. Nice.

:)

Back