The Genesis Equil Brum Brum Project

Paul R

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all
I've recently purchased my first road bike for many many years a Genesis Equilibrium 20 2013 model mosly becuase i love the copper paint colour and its steel. It will slowly be tidyied up and upgraded/lightened so i thought id decument it like the konas. I had one ride on it before i ripped it to bits and it was really enjoyable.

Main first changes are some lower gearing on the back 32 or 34, I have just got hold of an old ultegra long cage mech that will hopefully work and a new seatpost as sadly the thomson was well and truly stuck. the levers also are a bit of a stretch so I will need to get some reach adjust blocks for them as they dont have a screw adjust feaure on them.

Pics of delivery day.

DSC_1924.JPG DSC_1926.JPG DSC_1928.JPG DSC_1930.JPG DSC_1931.JPG DSC_1932.JPG DSC_1933.JPG DSC_1934.JPG

An interesting cabling route​

DSC_1925.JPG

Looks great and it seems to be able to fit pretty fat tires which is always a bonus. You've almost got yourself a...gravel bike. 😬😄

Looks great and it seems to be able to fit pretty fat tires which is always a bonus. You've almost got yourself a...gravel bike. 😬😄

Cheers yes its got 32c the max it can take apperantly.
The cross over cable routing allows for a better fit of the outer casing, rather than having the left hand cable scrunched up to the left boss, it runs a cleaner, wider loop in to the right boss and vice versa

I had to put it back straight it bugged me badly ha, it still shifts spot on luckly.

The cross over cable routing allows for a better fit of the outer casing, rather than having the left hand cable scrunched up to the left boss, it runs a cleaner, wider loop in to the right boss and vice versa
I recabled my Atala like this for exactly the reason you mention. You get a much smoother loop round the head tube area for each gear cable, with no outer rubbing on the paintwork and wrecking your finish.

Made a bit of progress, Its all stripped down now for a paintwork sort out and service. frame and fork are quite a good weight. weighed some of the new bits against the old while i was at it.

So far a silver hope headset, seat clamp and the long cage ultegra rear mech.

DSC_1972.JPG DSC_1975.JPG DSC_1976.JPG DSC_1980.JPG DSC_1983.JPG DSC_1996.JPG

Comparison weights

DSC_2012.JPG DSC_2014.JPG

DSC_2015.JPG DSC_2016.JPG

Back