The Downside of the Cycling Revival

I did it the wrong way in UK, but that is because I were used to riding right and it took a couple occasions before I found my new place on the cyclepath. In Holland people not knowing their place on the path is no issue, but kids with smartphones are an issue.

Re:

Here in Canada its a free for all on the bike paths. Pedestrians tend to be the worst, but cyclists can be all over the place as well. What really bugs me are retractable dog leashes. Pretty much invisible. I hope I never run into one.

Thank you for describing something which has (I now realise) slowly been eating away at my sanity for months!

Maybe Brits secretly hate driving on the left, and when they're on the bike, their secret longing to cling to the right just comes flodding out?

Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":1bmtjr9l said:
What really bugs me are retractable dog leashes. Pretty much invisible. I hope I never run into one.

+1!!!

I've encountered that one! Go to ride through the gap and then realise dog and owner are 'connected'!! I do have vintage eyesight to go with my vintage bike though :)

Goldie":2rxvp24y said:
Maybe Brits secretly hate driving on the left, and when they're on the bike, their secret longing to cling to the right just comes flodding out?
Hell yeah. We're mostly right handed and rarely feel the need to draw our swords to attack oncoming traffic any more.

When no cars are about, we sometimes ride six abreast, full width of the road ;-)

This is one reason I no longer ride on paths. The others being out of control children and dogs and the realisation that the speed I want to ride is antisocial on a path (not to say dangerous).

Back