The dark side called... And I like it!

jax13

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've done it.

It's over...

Retro riding, at least for the foreseeable has been replaced with the big wheeled variants.

I have been in and out of riding the last 20 years due to various injuries, work commitments, family commitments, life getting in the way... We all know how that goes.

Rewind to the easing of lockdown #1, a mate of mine wants to get back into riding and grabs himself a vitus 27.5 of some description 2nd hand and we head out into the forest and onto the trails.

I was on my trusty gringo, it fits me well, I like it a lot and have no intention of getting rid of it but I was struggling to keep pace and the dated suspension coupled with my newfound lack of bravery & confidence (due to not riding with any conviction for nearly the past decade) made me start looking around at newer things.

First step was a cannondale 29er,not bad spec, couple of mods to tart it up, bit of a service and it served me well (and continues to) right up to my hernia op back in November & with riding regularly again, I promised to treat myself to a full suss in the spring.

Well, early November amongst the black Friday deals I found an alpine trail 7 for a sniff over £1500,about £700 below retail so I grabbed it early knowing I had to embrace the suck of not being able to ride it for a couple of months.

I've only had 2 quick rides on it so far this week, a brisk 5 miler in company & a 7 miler on my own the other night under lights, both on a mix of single-track and fire road and I think its safe to say I'm converted.

The almost retro '99 gringo will remain as a hack bike (probably on slicks for road riding) and I may, at some point properly build something period correct and suitably retro for special occasions - I like my oranges so maybe a p7 or another clockwork or x1 - but for the most part, I think my riding over the bumpy stuff is going to be exclusively 29" from here out.

legrandefromage":oeq15npk said:
No e-bike then?

29'ers are so 2011 anyway.

Current thinking is get 4-5 years out of this one and see how I feel... But I'll possibly go very dark then!

...and then the industry re-invented the wheel...literally.

I like my 29ers - they stop me from screaming as I do a big drop off
I like my 27.5ers - they help on rooty slidey chutes
I like my 26ers - jumpy jumpy on the pumptrack, flicky flicky in the woods...

Fair play.

Sometimes a modern bike is what it takes to get back into the riding, which is all that matters really.

Back