The Cost of Retrobiking.

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Morning all.
One of the things I like about this retrobiking thing is that it's not exclusive ( unless you are talking to one of the Klein Fanboi types) in terms of the amount of money you have to spend to enjoy yourself.
Obviously everyone's situation is different, but I am far from rich - having been too ill to work for a good while and will be until I am better: this means I am not sleeping on a pile of money with many beautiful women, more like worrying about my money with one beautiful woman. But bearing in mind how much a useable bike costs, it's become my most cost effective hobby/pastime.
Here's what else I do:
I make Daleks - real ones.
I build models - from scratch and kits.
I play the guitar and drums.
And next to that lot with the possible exception of playing the guitar, it's actually cheaper than all of them: A nice model kit can cost anything from a fiver to a hundred quid, a pair of drum sticks eleven quid - a bass drum head upwards of thirty. Strings 8 or so. A Bass drum pedal? Well mine cost horrifying money.
Making a dalek costs around 3 - 400 quid - but then sometimes people want to buy them so I can get my money back and a bit extra.
The thing is being not well enough to work means I am not well enough to do most of these things either, but putting a bike together, polishing some bits, tuning it up all mean I don't have to get stressed, talk to strangers much, or worry if I can sell on the products of my work. And can do it on a limited income if I am careful.

So far I haven't bought a retrobike for more than 50 quid, ( Although I may have bought bits for it and I don't need to buy lots of bikes anyway, ) but most of all I can't go out for a therapeutic ride on a drumkit or a dalek.
The fun per pound ratio is off the scale. I have three projects on the go and the main one is my Rift Zone. Then there's the Saracen monocoque clown bike, and Antstark ( thanks again mate )sent me a lovely Cinder cone frame.
The Marin is complete, ( and is deeply therapeutic to ride) the Saracen is nearly complete and I need a few bits for the Kona and it's a slow burner cos I want to get it right.
Totally for this lot I have spent less than 150, and I've managed to Karma two frames out of that lot to other folks, and I've been doing the retro thing since last year.
I know that many folks have spent truckloads on it, but I think this is such good value.
( And you should see plastic modellers moan about the price of their hobby...)

hear you buddy load and clear. ive had a rollercoaster with retrobike since i found it. ive had good times at work and managed to afford dream bikes but much of mine has been luck, karma ;) and after years hear the friendships gained have allowed some cool bikes to be built for very little. ultimately for me as well its the riding, be it in groups or on my own. im going through some shit personal issues at mo and riding is preserving my soul and mind.

i have as much fun riding my "found" s&g as i do my lapierre

thankyou retrobike and all who ride with her ;)

Sounds like you both are having heaps of fun with the hobby! The main thing I have found over the years is that it is about riding. There is fun to be had tinkering, I love playing bike dress ups as much as anyone else but as my lovely wife has let me ride more I care less about the bike.

Pre kids I had a lot of disposable income. Heaps :( I bought every thing I listed after in the magazines as a teen. Yeti kleins Ritchey Xtr nos shit Zaskars winderness trail bike titanium stuff etc you get the picture.
It has cost me thousands and thousands.
It is embarrassing now when I look in my cave. I have been quite good lately I have identified it as an addiction and I have sold a lot of gear.

I love to ride to ride a rusty bike I picked up for thirty bucks! It fits perfectly and stops well! It rides better than a Klein so that's what I ride as a retro now.

Re:

Never had much money but at least now I can afford to buy what I couldn't back in 1997 when I got back into MTB's for the second time (first time was a Dawes Jackel in 1989!)

I do spend far too much time building dream bikes in my head, then last year I finally really got back into riding properly, on and off road, on this old Kona which has morphed several times to be what you see below...and it's not strictly entirely 'retro' I know. Another off road bike is almost ready to go, and of course there's the Explosif too, but that may take a while. But actually, due to work commitments and a new relationship, I hadn't ridden again for 3 months, until yesterday.

As soon as I was out there I realised how little time I had been making for myself to do this, just a short pootle to a pub, or down the drove to find some mud. To me, the cost isn't about doing it, it's what happens when you don't! I'd forgotten how great it is to just get out there completely on your own with your own thoughts, and get everything back in to perspective.

Will still keep dreaming about the perfect bike though.... :cool:

Attachments

• July ride 008.JPG
    July ride 008.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 843
That sheep/pig/chimera ( I live in the city, I have no idea what animals are called ) is clearly eying up your Kona :)
Thanks folks, Longun: Well said also.
It's nice having incomplete projects as well, 'cos you have something to focus on and plan for. Having a rideable bike is the most important thing for me, but I do love doing a project that challenges me with the promise of a lovely and inexpensive piece of engineering at the end of it.

Here's to the 35 dollar bikes that ride better than a Klein!

You make real Daleks? :shock:

I've often thought there is probably an inverse relationship between the amount spent on a hobby and the time spent enjoying the hobby (in our case riding...)

Before any jumps up to say "but I have 4000 Kleins (it's always Kleins isn't it? :D ) and ride 500 miles a week", I'd put myself in the former category but am now having a concentrated effort to ride more and spend less!

I do :)
2.jpg

I have made a lot - one was in the show a couple of years back. I like daleks. I think I have a problem, frankly.

I think there's a lot to be said for your theory: Of course I'd spend a truck load more if I could, but I really appreciate what I have - in terms of friends made in the hobby especially, and the sharing nature of it: Not long after I put up the first post in this thread THM popped up and offered me some tyres, when I was building up my Marin The Clockwork Like one sent me a wheel, just so that I had one that matched. I see this sort of thing a lot here: information, guidance, even sometimes parts, all shared because we're a community.
When I started building daleks, internet access wasn't common, but there were some ( a few, admittedly ) who didn't want anyone to have the information that they had. Those of us who saw it as something that should be shared were looked upon by this lot as naive losers.
Not so here. We all want each other to do well.
*Steven Spielberg AWWWW moment as sun rises above the sillhouette of a Dynatech and a Fat side by side against the Malverns skyline, a sheep grazing on Xlite and Ringle skewers growing in a field of Power Bars*

doctorstewie said:
I do :)
2.jpg

I have made a lot - one was in the show a couple of years back. I like daleks. I think I have a problem, frankly.

Do you sell to private buyers? if so I may be interested, how much? (are they weatherproof?)
I have 2 Daughters the eldest (based in Cardiff) plays in the BBC NOW (National Orchestra of Wales) WHO (pun intended) play all the music for the Dr Who series.
We often get to see the Dr Who Concerts, just brilliant. The youngest daughter (lives at home - Lincoln) is Nuts about Daleks and seeing one in our garden would be far more exiting than the common or Garden Gnomes (not that we have any!).
In the process of selling a little used 1976 Classic Road "King of Mercia", sticking with my 2 KHS's for outdoor pursuits.
BTW Photo is from West end of Loch Tay looking to wee hill at Killin

Back