The British bike thread

There's about 5 miles of the York-Malton cycleway left, mainly as a shared path between Harton and Huttons Ambo though even there it tends to disappear and reappear randomly and at times seems to be about a foot wide. The York-Tadcaster cycleway is in much better condition although due to road improvements little (if any) of the original route is still in use.

In that case, no. Before it was reprofiled the bend at Steeton (a pair of semi-detached houses at the side of the road) was sharp enough that you were lucky to keep a car on the correct carriageway if you were travelling at more than 50mph. Mind you, your average car didn't handle too well back then.
Anyway, I digress. Thanks to the Lentons in this thread I'm at last getting a lead on what model my father's old Raleigh was. I'm almost certain that it was a late 1940s Super Sport. Orange, Dynohub, 4-speed Sturmey.

Last edited:
In that case, no. Before it was reprofiled the bend at Steeton (a pair of semi-detached houses at the side of the road) was sharp enough that you were lucky to keep a car on the correct carriageway if you were travelling at more than 50mph. Mind you, your average car didn't handle too well back then.
Anyway, I digress. Thanks to the Lentons in this thread I'm at last getting a lead on what model my father's old Raleigh was. I'm almost certain that it was a late 1940s Super Sport. Orange, Dynohub, 4-speed Sturmey.
Any pictures of your father's Raleigh? Be nice to see if so.

Back