The British bike thread

Interesting find here regarding cycle paths. Go down the page to 'Historical Background' for the skinny on dutch style cycling infrastructure here in the UK

This is required reading imo. Check the map after reading. Great find Carl.

This is required reading imo. Check the map after reading. Great find Carl.

Prompted by gtpulse's pic and of Frankeno's tales I was thinking how lucky they were to have had cycling families . I've cycled all over North Yorkshire , as a teen , as far as the Lake District . All centred on York .
On the map above the little dot for York is the A64 between York and Malton , a 19 mile trip that takes you passed Kirkham Priory and Castle Howard .
The only significant ride my father made with my brother and I was from Malton to Scarborough and back . We took the train to Malton from York because even back then the A64 was a bit hairy . The cycle route was still there in places but not in great nick .
We got to Scarborough ok but half way back to Malton my old man was finished , proper dead in the water . He had borrowed a first generation Raleigh Record Sprint {Campag 980 gears and concave rims} certainly not an appropriate bicycle for a man in his condition to attempt that ride . He sent us off with our train tickets to make sure we got back in time which we did with ample to spare .
He must have found something in the tank because as the train pulled in so did he . Beaten , bedraggled and barely able to speak .
Being sensitive well bred kids we laughed at him long and hard and poked him in the bum for a good few days afterwards .
After that we did it without him .

Van Deursen-branded Speedwell Titalite. Too small to actually ride, alas. 🙁

3935be63-7664-49c9-891c-06867320c3bc.jpg

Back