The British bike thread

The saddlebag support is indeed the RRA specific part, clips onto 4 pips and locks in place with 2 swinging plates.
DSCF6565.JPG

Very scarce now, like the pedals and mudguard wingnuts. The second black RRA has got a pair of ulra rare alloy RRA front wheel wing nuts - the only pair I've ever seen.
DSCF6888.jpg

Sorry Guiness the Tour of Britain was one of the first I did after retirement 6 years ago, rescued it off a garage wall in Kettering for £20, all original including the Shimano Positron gears!

Last edited:
The saddlebag support is indeed the RRA specific part, clips onto 4 pips and locks in place with 2 swinging plates.
View attachment 825769

Very scarce now, like the pedals and mudguard wingnuts. The second black RRA has got a pair of ulra rare alloy RRA front wheel wing nuts - the only pair I've ever seen.
View attachment 825772

Sorry Guiness the Tour of Britain was one of the first I did after retirement 6 years ago, rescued it off a garage wall in Kettering for £20, all original including the Shimano Positron gears!
Immaculate .
It confuses me how the British mass cycle and component manufacturing industry can have gone from this level to irrelevance in the way it seemed to do .

It confuses me how the British mass cycle and component manufacturing industry can have gone from this level to irrelevance in the way it seemed to do .
By the mid 50s even Raleigh had recognised that offering optional equipment on their top bikes was just too expensive - hence they dropped the RRA and the revised Super Lenton took it's place for a couple of years before being replaced itself by the RRA Moderne (with derailleurs shock/horror!)

By the mid 50s even Raleigh had recognised that offering optional equipment on their top bikes was just too expensive - hence they dropped the RRA and the revised Super Lenton took it's place for a couple of years before being replaced itself by the RRA Moderne (with derailleurs shock/horror!)
I understand that , at least to some extent , what confuses me is how the French , Italians and Japanese were able to keep doing it while we couldn't. Is there something intransigent in our "nature" ?
Has there ever been a British made derailleur ?

Back